Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

Hi, my Panasonic PT47WX49E rear projection tv suddenly shut

Customer Question

Hi, my Panasonic PT47WX49E rear projection tv suddenly shut itself off. It won't turn back on at all unless I unplug it and plug it back in. However, when I do that, the power light comes on but nothing happens on the screen. Seconds after that, the tv shuts itself off again (I can hear the "click"), then won't power back on unless I repeat the unplug/plug in again. Am I doomed?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer. :)

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
2. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
3. the question may be unclear

Please feel free to re-word your question or add additional information you might feel helpful for the Experts to assist you.
If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Gina
JustAnswer Moderator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what else to tell you -- I'm unable to get any other response out of the television than what I've already explained. I'm hoping that I'm receiving some sort of auto-response due to delay because of the holiday. I will continue to monitor this site throughout the night and tomorrow.

Thank you.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer!

The other experts and I are working on your issue, but first it would help us to know if there are any lights blinking/flashing at all during this process (or after it shuts down). If so, what colors? Is there a pattern or sequence to the blinks (i.e., 2 blinks-pause-2 blinks)?

Please advise and we can proceed.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No blinking at all. Just a steady light, then powering off. Sorry!
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Here we go.

Projection televisions have a shut down circuit that monitors everything that goes on inside of it. If any one circuit fails, if any one voltage drops down, if any component fails the set will shut down. This is why your situation is sticky.

My estimation is that you have a faulty component somewhere on your power supply board. Are you comfortable with opening the unit and probing around with a multimeter? if so, take a look at the PS board (follow the power cord inside the unit... it will dead end at the PS board). Take a look around. Are any of the capacitors bulging toward the top? Is anything burnt/black? Can you smell anything odd? If so, remove/replace the faulty component and give it a shot. OR, you can just give me the part number from the board and we can track down a replacement. You're probably looking $150-$250 for a new board. Though, LCDs are dropping in price by the day Cool and I can assist in that route, also.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.