euro-pro llc
euro-pro llc, Technician
Experience:  22 years experience
21107900

My color Zenith TV will not turn on. When I press the power

My color Zenith TV will not turn on. When I press the power button, I can hear a faint noise but the picture does not appear.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  euro-pro llc replied 6 years ago.

I will try to help you with this question.

The "hissing " noise you hear is probably a high voltage leak.

This is caused most of the time by a crack into the flyback transformer insulation(not repairable to a reliable condition)=this flyback transformer will need probably to be replaced.

Please note:

There are also other possible causes for this issue,but a defective flyback transformer is one of the most common occurrence.

The problem is,there are not too many parts available for these CRT tvs,it will be pretty hard to find a replacement flyback.

The cost of the part should not exceed -$50-$70,but the labor fee can be as high as -$150-$200.

This is a soldered in part,and the repair is reserved to very experienced technicians(component level repair).

As you can see,the cost of the repair,will exceed the value of a new tv set.

I would not recommend to repair this tv set, unless you have extensive electronic knowledge ,and will be able to repair the tv yourself(saving the labor fee money).

I am sorry for the bad news,but nowadays,it is very expensive to repair the CRT tvs,when all the new LCD and plasma tvs prices are dropping every day!

I hope this will at least help you to make an informed decision about this tv set.

Please,accept my answer only if you are satisfied ,and will be able to leave a positive feedback.

Also,please feel free to ask me any additional,related questions,I will gladly help you.

Thank you so much and have a great day!