Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Sony vpl cs6 data projector will not turn on. No green light

Customer Question

Sony vpl cs6 data projector will not turn on. No green light when power switched on. Power lead is working.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer. :)

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully

Please feel free to re-word your question or add additional information you might feel helpful for the Experts to assist you.
If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Gina
JustAnswer Moderator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No lights appear on projector when plugged in and switched on. The power lead is operative. It is not possible to operate by pushing the on/off button on top. Is there an internal fuse?

Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site,

Initially, yes, there is an internal 6.3A fuse. It would be on the GA power supply board. Other than the fuse, a relay is responsible for actually switching ON the Sony VPL-CS6 Projector. If the built-in protection has detected a fault and to prevent further damage, the relay drive would be stopped and the Sony will not power on. It must be noted that if the break on the fuse is dark and marked with burns, then it would indicate that there are other components that has faulted.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center or a qualified professional.

Offhand, if a DIY is being considered, please reference the schematic diagram of the GA power supply board below.

graphic

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 6/28/2010 at 7:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the fuse soldered on or just a "push fit"?

Are service manuals easily available?

Thanks for schematic

Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
There is a snap fuse holder on one corner of the GA board near the AC IN connector.

If acceptable, I could upload to an off site server a pdf copy of the Service Manual. Next post would have the link.

Edited by Benimur on 6/28/2010 at 8:08 PM EST
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Please click here.

Edited by Benimur on 6/28/2010 at 8:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you that would be very helpul.

I would then attempt DIY repair as otherwise the projector would just be thrown away

Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
I understand and glad to be of help.

Edited by Benimur on 6/28/2010 at 8:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Thanks for the PDF manual. One last question. </p><p> </p><p>Is the relay repairable? </p><p> </p><p>Will it just have stopped the projector powering up and if a fault is corrected would it just work correctly in future.</p>
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
It would be very rare for the coil of the relay to go bad, often, relay problems are limited to pitting of the contacts; uneven wear & tear or scorched marks. And yes, the contacts could be repaired by using a fine needle file or fine sandpaper.

The relay acts as the main physical switch. The transistor that drives the relay waits for a signal from the logic circuitry before it will trigger the relay to energize hence turn on the projector.

Edited by Benimur on 6/29/2010 at 1:29 AM EST
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. I am now in a position to try the DIY answer

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Appreciate the ACCEPT.