iMayne
iMayne, Technician
Experience:  5 years dealing with Electronic devices and Computer related programs and hardware.
35350238

Garmin Nuvi 650. Turns on, but screen is locked up. Touch screeen

Garmin Nuvi 650. Turns on, but screen is locked up. Touch screeen lights up but does not work. Thanks, Norm
Hello.

Seems like to need a hard reset.

To do a hard reset just put your finger up on upper right-hand corner of the screen and then turn the unit on. Hold both the fingers on the screen AND the ON button for at least a minute and then shut down the unit and see if that works for you.

Regards

Edited by iMayne on 5/15/2010 at 3:51 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried what you suggested several times. The screen is still locked up. I'll try to describe n to you in more detail exactlly what happens. (1) unit is turned on, and says "GARMIN" on the screen. (2)Then says "loading maps" (3)Then "Warning" disclaimer screen comes up. When I touch "agree" on screen, nothing happens---no beep or anything.(4) After a few seconds, the screen moves automatically to the next screen with the "Where To", "View Map", and "Travel Kit" options . (5)None of these options work. Pushing any one of these does nothing.The screen is now locked up. I cannot proceed further with the toch screen.
Please Advise. Regards, Norm
Hello, if this last attempt does not work, I'll pass this on to other experts.

Please do this and let me know.

First download and run our Webupdater program. Download WebUpdater by clicking here:

Click Me

Once the software is up to date and it still doesnt work fine then you will need to do a master reset. Please note by doing the reset it may erase any favorites or waypoints you have saved in the nuvi. Before proceeding you may want to back up this information. To complete the master reset, please follow the steps below.

Master Reset:

1. If the unit is plugged into a power source, please disconnect it.
  2. Turn the unit off
  3. Place the tip of your index finger in the bottom right corner of the touch-screen and press down.
  4. While holding your finger in the corner Power the unit on.
  5. Once you unit powers on you can release the power button but continue to hold you finger in the corner.
  6. When you see the prompt "Do you want to erase user data" you can move your finger from the corner and select yes.
  7. The nuvi will then re-boot and then you will need go through the initial set up process.
  8. Take the unit outside where it has a clear un-obstructed view of the sky, flip the antenna on the back of the nuvi so it is at least at 90 degree angle. Then wait sitting or standing still not moving or driving until the nuvi acquires the satellite signal (this can take up to 10-15 minutes)
Regards

Edited by iMayne on 5/15/2010 at 6:38 PM EST
Hello.

Did my last attempt worked?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm 88 years old and the procedure you outlined is over my head. I appreciate the time you already spent on my problem, and I'm willing to pay for it. Thanks anyway, I'll just buy a new GPS. Thanks again, Norm