I have a Sony DAV-HDX275 Home Theater System. I was moving the speakers last night and had to disconnect them. I turned the power off and started pulling the speaker wires for the front channels out and there was a spark from under the unit. The unit will turn on now but on the display it says "Push Power Protector". Is there a reset somewhere on the unit? The surge protector it is plugged into is OK and we tried unplugging the unit to see if it would reset itself but no luck. Help!
Make: SonyModel: DAV-HDX275
Unplugging the unit and checked surge protector.
There is no reset button on the unit.
This message usually means that there is a short in the speaker wiring. When a short is detected, the unit protects the unit by not "pushing" any power to the speakers.
Can you remove all of the speaker wiring at the back and ensure there are no stray strands of copper wire, then re-insert the speaker wires into the correct holes. Also check all of the wire length to ensure that none of the insulation is damaged. Then power on the system again. If no short is detected, the Push Power Protector error message will disappear.
Well I tried all that and I still get the same message on the dispay. I'm pretty sure it has more major problems than the speaker wires being shorted. There is a black/burnt spot on the bottom of the unit. I just can't believe that shorting a speaker wire with the unit off would blow it up. Without a doubt something is burned inside the unit. I'm surprised it turns on at all after seeing the burn mark. Do you think it is worth trying to get a tech to repair it?
If there are signs of damage on the bottom of the unit, then some component of the speaker amplifier inside the unit is probably damaged. Did you notice any signs of incorrect wiring or shorts in the speaker wiring that could have caused this? Did you have the speakers connected to the correct location on the unit?
Your main amplifier is pumping out 1000W, while the smallest surround speakers only need 50W, so if anything has been connected incorrectly or has shorted, this can cause major damage to the unit. You would be best getting a quote for repair from a technician first, as the cost of repair could be almost the price of a new unit - the amplifier is the costliest part of the unit.
can you please click Accept if my answer was helpful to you, as I do not get paid for my time until the answer is accepted.