Rod, Systems Engineer
Experience:  FCC Commercial Licenses, BSCS, ASEET, 40+years Electronics & Communication Systems
14090506

My garmin zumo 550 lost its mind. The touch screen quit working.

My garmin zumo 550 lost its mind. The touch screen quit working. I touch spots and it blinks but doesnt change or react to them. I ooaded map updates and it is in lala land.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
Hi JA Customer,

Sometimes an update requires a reset. To reset the Zumo, press and hold the power button and then the + button simultaneously for 8 seconds. Also, after resetting, you should set the touch screen calibration, by pressing and holding the power button for about 1 minute until the calibration screen comes on - then follow the on screen instructions.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done that and it does not work. It wants me to select a locale but the touch screen does not work so the ok button does not work nor does the square button on the side,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done that and it does not work. It wants me to select a locale but the touch screen does not work it changes from green to yellow but does nto do the process to go to the next prompt
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
Hi JA Customer,

Did you do a system software update before loading the new maps? If not, go to this web site and download the WebUpdater program and install it on your computer. Do not connect the Zumo to your computer until the program is installed. Then connect the Zumo to the computer and start the program - there was a software update released in late 2009.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am going through this routine. Says saving waypoints .... .gpx format 1% i am waiting for it to change.
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

It will take a little while to download and update the operating system. Also, when it is complete - do a reset again (power button and plus button).

Let me know your results.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am back to the select locale and i touch the ok on screen it goes from grfeen to yellow but nothng happens.
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

After the software update, you did do a reset - correct? Also, you will need to recalibrate the touch screen, by powering it off, then press and hold the power button for about a minute until the calibration screen comes on - and follow the calibration steps.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I press the power and plus key for 8 seconds and release. It goes to the select locale screen and i can do nothing. I have tried the calibration screena nd the dot comes up but does nto respond. I have removed the battery and tried that to no avail.
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

You may have a hardware failure. I will opt out and perhaps another expert can assist you.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks Can I send oit back to Garmin or resort to buyng another?
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Garmin is the only service you can get for the unit - they keep their service information proprietary. For the Zumo 550, the flat fee repair is $150, this will include all software upgrades. Garmin units are under warranty for 1 year, so if you have had it for less than a year - it will be repaired for free (just pay shipping).

You may contact Garmin here for repair service.

Thanks,
Rod, Systems Engineer
Experience: FCC Commercial Licenses, BSCS, ASEET, 40+years Electronics & Communication Systems