AnswermanRob
AnswermanRob, Electronic Jack Of All Trades
Experience:  FCC License w/Radar Endorsement, 5 yrs of experience teaching aviation electronics, 20yrs total exp
24991566

My Kindle wont take a charge

Customer Question

My Kindle won't take a charge
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  AnswermanRob replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Try a master reset.

To reset a Kindle 1, you need to open the back cover first. Turn your Kindle over so that the back cover is facing you. Slide the back cover off by pressing the cover firmly while sliding the cover to the right with your thumbs. Use a paper clip to press the reset button on the top left of the battery. The kindle will flash a few times and reset.

If it's a Kindle 2

1. Slide the power button and hold it for 30 sec.

2. Release the button and wait for 20 sec until the screen begins to flash.

3. As soon as it does, plug in the power and charge it for a few hours.

Let me know if this does not work.

Rob

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I tried this last night, the screen never blinked but it did reboot because I could access the home screen again. I plugged it in and this morning it was 'battery is empty" again.

I repeated my actions with no success.

It is a Kindle 2.

How long have you owned your Kindle?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A year, maybe a little less
Hello again.

It sounds like the reboot is working, but the software is corrupting after the reboot. The battery in the Kindle is manufactured to work for several years. If you've had it less than a year, you can get it repaired for free by contacting Amazon at(NNN) NNN-NNNN If not, I would still plead my case with the representative at Amazon. It should not fail this soon.

Rob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your solution wasn't correct, the software was not corrupt. I did contact Kindle suppport who guided me through the correct steps
Can you please let me know how they corrected your problem so I can offer it as a possible fix in the future?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

They had me connect it to a USB port, push the button to the right and then immediately push the "r" button. It was then able to accept a charge. And is now on it's way to my nephew who is stationed in Afganastan.

That's a method I hadn't heard! Thank you very much for getting back to me. As a 20 year veteran, I have the utmost respect for your nephew. My prayers go with the Kindle.

All the best,

Rob