JHawk
JHawk, Engineer
Experience:  Low voltage electrical enginering, field electronics trouble shooting, installation and service.
33525105

SMOKE ALARM-MODEL i12060 is chirping constantly. It is not

SMOKE ALARM-MODEL i12060 is "chirping" constantly. It is not is full alarm status and pushing the hush button will not stop chirp/beep/noise. What do is neet to do? Can not find an answer in the brochure that came with the device.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  JHawk replied 4 years ago.
If the Smoke Detector is "chirping" at regular time intervals try this:

1. If the "chirp" occurs every 30-40 seconds, the battery is low. Replace the battery.

2. Alarm malfunction: The alarm will "chirp" between flashes of the Red LED. If this happens, press and hold the "Test" button for a minimum of 2 seconds. If the alarm does not sound your unit has a defective battery or other failure.

If the "chirping" occurs randomly:

1. The battery may be loose or not installed properly.

2. The smoke alarm sensing chamber may be dirty. To clean your alarm, remove it from the mounting bracket. You can clean the interior with compressed air or a vacuum cleaner hose. Blow or vacuum through the openings around the outside of the alarm. The outside of the alarm can be wiped with a damp cloth. After cleaning, reinstall the alarm, and verify the green LED is on and test your alarm by using the Test Button. If cleaning does not restore the alarm to normal operation, the alarm needs to be replaced.

3. Extreme temperatures or high humidity can cause random "chirping".
4. Here are the steps to make sure the alarm is reset:

The error condition should reset when the battery has been replaced but sometimes it does not and must be manually reset to clear the error.

Resetting an AC unit with a battery backup:

Turn off the power to the smoke alarm at the circuit breaker.Remove the smoke alarm from the mounting bracket and disconnect the power, them remove the battery. Now, press and hold the test button for 15 seconds. The unit may chirp for a few seconds before going silent. Now, reconnect the power and reinstall the battery. The smoke detector will chirp once when the power is restored and should not chirp afterwards.

Resetting a DC only unit:

Remove the battery, then press and hold the test button for 15 seconds. The unit may chirp for a few seconds before going silent. Now, reinstall the battery. The unit will chirp when the battery is first connected but should not chirp afterwards.

You can find more details at the following website:

https://portalgb.knowledgebase.net/display/4/search.aspx?tab=search&c=15121&cpc=i830o4bbvC82cRVePyldWo3I&cid=12758&r=

If you found my information to be helpful, please select the "ACCEPT" answer button now. This is the only way I receive compensation for my time helping you. You will not be charged more than what you have already paid by accepting my answer.

Thank you!

Jeff

Edited by Jhawk on 4/14/2010 at 9:53 PM EST
JHawk, Engineer
Experience: Low voltage electrical enginering, field electronics trouble shooting, installation and service.