Joshua Calvert
Joshua Calvert, Engineer
Experience:  Owned, configured, troubleshot, and repaired many electronics devices in the past 20 years.
33415687

I have an American Eagle (Canon) gun safe. My son died yeste

Customer Question

I have an American Eagle (Canon) gun safe. My son died yesterday we have the key but it has a dial combination and no one knows the combination.. Can I find help some are telling me 1,000 to come unlock it.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Joshua Calvert replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry for your loss.

How many digits does the combination have to be?

Sometimes, for numerical combinations, I choose terrible dates, because I think no one would ever think to put them in for a combination for me.

But, if it's a safe, like any combination lock, it probably came with a default combination that was never changed, so there's a chance that the combination is completely random. If that's the case, you'll never guess it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is three digits 4 turns to the left 3 turns to the right 2 turns back to the left and then right to zero and then left slowly till the dial locks

And it's completely mechanical, not electronic?

And I take it you don't want to destroy it to open it?

There had to have been a default combination that the unit had when it was shipped out. I doubt your son changed this (if it's even possible to change it. I bet you the manufacturer still has that number somewhere. Take some pictures of the serial number and get whatever other documentation you need and contact Canon American Eagle. They will most likely give you the safe combination or ship someone out to break it (cheaper than 1000).

Alternatively, you can break into the safe physically.

Or, you can guess numbers, but this might not work because it might just be a default number that was shipped with the safe.

Look for the documentation that came with the safe. This would have the combination in it, the default combination. Some people keep this documentation in the safe though, so it might not be useful to search for it.

But, try these as default combinations:

50 - 25 - 50

50 - 0 - 50

25 - 50 - 25

25 - 0 - 25

If they don't work, you can continue trying to guess combinations. Remember that some people code letters of the alphabet into numbers and the combination is often initials or some other letters that are important to them. For example, ABA would be 1 2 1.

If none of this works and you still need help, go to http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2025.0;prev_next=prev#new

Or go to the initial section of that website and post. The guys there know so much about these safes and may be able to tell you more about them than I did.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tried all that and the same no.'s you gave from the internet and they did not work
If you tried all that, then the only thing left to do is apply all those other options.

If you don't care about wrecking the safe, you can apply standard safecracking techniques to getting the safe open. This of course, requires a requisite level of skill and power tools and I get the impression you don't want to go there.

I think your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer unless there's a compelling reason you need to get into the safe and you don't care about wrecking it. Then, I would proceed with the other option.

Since you have the key, you will be able to break into it. After all, the key is to prevent people from breaking into it by trying combinations.