Greg A.
Greg A. , Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

garmin c330 will not aquire satellite

Customer Question

garmin c330 will not aquire satellite
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell me how long you have owned your C330 and when this issue started to happen?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've had it 2 years now. Back in December, it was very slow to come up. Sometimes as long as an hour. Now, it doesn't come up at all.

Thanks,

Bob
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bob,

Do you have a USB cable that allows you to connect between the unit and your computer? Is should look something like this picture (below), or at least the ends should look like that.

graphic

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Greg,,
No, I don't have a USB cable. My computer skills are limited. How would the cable help?

Bob
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

The "plan" is to connect your unit to the computer and get the latest and greatest software that controls the system. This is a free program that Garmin makes available for anyone that has their GPS units.

Let me send along the notes about these types of symptoms. You can probably ignore the first part about what is needed to be able to acquire satellite signals, as I am assuming you are "in the clear" when using the unit.

-----------------

If your StreetPilot c3xx series device is no longer acquiring satellites, please read the article linked below to ensure that this is not being caused by something in your environment:

Why won't my unit acquire satellites?

If after reading the above article your unit is still having problems, please ensure that your unit's software is up to date. You can do this by using our WebUpdater® program.

If you have tried all of the above suggestions and your unit is still not acquiring satellites, you can perform a master reset by doing the following:

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings.

1. Start with the unit powered OFF and unplugged from power.
  2. Touch and hold the bottom right corner of the touchscreen.
  3. Power the unit ON and continue pressing the screen until a new message displays, "Do You Really Want To Erase All User Data?".
  4. Touch Yes and go through the set up again.

Take the unit outside and let it set with a clear view of the sky for 3-5 minutes to acquire satellites. If the unit still does not acquire satellites after this, please contact Garmin Product Support.

-----------------

Just as a note: if you have a digital camera or similar device, you may have a cable that will work - to do the updates. If not, you can get these cables at almost any electronics store, office supply store, or even some department stores with an electronics department. Almost anyone that carries digital cameras or GPS units should have one of these. Or if you don't have anything local to you, you can get them through Amazon for pretty cheap. See Link Here.

Again, the idea is to get the latest software on the unit, as there have been issues over the last couple of years that relates to acquiring the satellite signals. Some units will take a LONG time to get the signals, and others will take a VERY LONG time (up to an hour or more). That is way too long, and in most conditions, 1-2 minutes should be "normal" for these units.

Please let me know what you find and if you get a chance to do these updates.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Update will not download on my computer.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

Can you tell me what happens when you try?

Do you get a specific error message of any kind?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did reset the unit, and it found the satellite, but it took a long time. When I tried to download, nothing happened. Pilot error?

Bob
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bob,

Not sure about pilot error ... Did you get the Webupdater program loaded on your computer and run that? It does most, if not all, the work.