Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

How to reset a garmin etrex venture hc gps. I had the unit

Customer Question

How to reset a garmin etrex venture hc gps. I had the unit turn off on me and will not turn back on tried new batteries and still no response. Will show garmin screen the shuts off
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Please try the following procedure:

----------------

If the eTrex is not responding correctly, for example it is not receiving a satellite signal, it may be necessary to perform a master reset. This can also be used if you want to restore the factory default settings. To reset the device please follow these steps:

1. Turn off the device
  2. Press PAGE, ENTER and POWER.
  3. You will see a message on the screen that says "Do you really want to erase all user data?". Select Yes.
  4. The device will now reboot, leave it with a clear view of the sky for 30 minutes to acquire the satellite almanac.

Please be aware that a master reset will erase all waypoints or favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings.

----------------

Please let me know what happens.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
unit tries to start then screen goes black got the reboot question once but would not let me select yes
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

Can you tell me what type of batteries you are using?

When you replaced them, did you carefully check the contacts at each end of the batteries to see if there was any "dirt" there?

It sounds like you are loosing power to the unit, that is why I ask.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Regular duracells but I was using rechargeable duracells. the unit seems to power up but when it is ready to switcg to searching for sattelites the screen gets a lot off line and the goes blank
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Are the batteries that you have "new" (full power)?

I would check those contacts and clean them with alcohol and a lint-free cloth, if you have one.

Also, I don't understand "the screen gets a lot off line" - does that mean that is show that a lot of the satellites are not being detected yet?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
contacts are clean, tried three different sets of batteries. What I mean by lines is the garmin screen comes up, it starts to boot up, then the screen gets alot of thin horizontal lines and goes blank. I am beginning to think that it is a warranty problem
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

If the unit is New - less than a year old, then yes, I would return it for warranty repair (to garmin).

If it is less than a month old, I would take it back to the store where you got it.

Can you tell me how old it is?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The unit is seven months old
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

If that is the case, I would return the unit to Garmin so that they can repair or replace it under the 1 year warranty which comes with ALL of their GPS units.

The procedure to do that starts with contacting Garmin so that you can get a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number. Here is the rest of the information.

To Obtain Warranty Service Please Complete These Two Easy Steps:

*** STEP 1 ***

Contact Garmin Technical Support to receive an RMA number.

Call or e-mail a Garmin Technical Support Specialist to describe the problem and request a return material authorization (RMA) number. You will need to provide the unit's serial number (if applicable), your return shipping address and a daytime phone number.

Phone:1-800-800-1020 or(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

*** STEP 2 ***

Ship the unit, along with the RMA number, to Garmin.

Once you have received the RMA number, you also will be told what dock number to include in the shipping address. Ship the unit (insured) to the following address and include the assigned dock number:

Garmin International
1200 E. 151st Street
RMA Number: (insert your RMA number here)
Dock Door (insert the dock number here)
Olathe, KS 66062 USA

Just so you know, their support phones are only open weekdays, as shown below:

North America - Consumer Products

Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM, Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

US:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020
Canada: 1-866-429-9296

Please let me know how it goes or if you have more questions.

Good Luck, Greg A.