Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant

I need to deregister three handsets from Uniden Tru8885 base

Customer Question

I need to deregister three handsets from a Uniden Tru8885 base. According to the manual, the only way to deregister a handset is at the handset. However, I don't have the handsets. Is there possibly a hidden reset button inside the base? Or, a couple of leads to jumper inside the base? (Someone is able to do it to refurbished models.) Thanks.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Can I ask why you need to de-register these three handsets?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I can register their replacements.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.

I think I understand now.

Does that mean that you had the total of 10 handsets already registered, and you lost 3 of these. The reason I ask is because you should be able to register a total of 10 handsets without having to de-register any other handsets.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct. All 10 slots are now occupied. Three phones are missing. I'm trying to re-fill those slots with replacement handsets.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.

Hmm. That sounds like a problem, because there are only 10 available "memories" available for handsets.

I don't have my schematic with me, but I seem to recall that these codes (or keys really) are stored in a non-volatile memory, which does not erase unless it is done specifically using the de-register process. That is why these things can be make and stocked for many months (without power) and still not have to register the original handsets that come with the base unit (whether it is 2, 3, or more).

I got my set from Costco, when they were getting rid of their final stock, and I am pretty sure that the unit was at least 9 months old, and I didn't have to register the handsets that came with them.

I kind of think that you may be "stuck" with what you have, or what you mentioned in your first message, which would be to get a refurbished set (or just the base). Just be careful that if you get the base by itself, that all of the slots have been cleared so that you can register all the handset that you have.

I actually have two base units, connected to two different phone lines, with 4 handsets registered to each base. But they do sometimes get "crosstalk" when both lines are in use (I can hear my wife's conversation on my handset, but it is faint). I actually talked to the uniden tech-support folks about this, and this is NOT supposed to work, but the two base units are on opposite ends of the house. So I think I am just "getting lucky" most of the time.

Sorry to be so long winded. I wish I could be of more help, but I think a second base unit (at least) would be your best choice.

Please let me know what you decide.

Take Care & Good Luck, Greg A.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your crosstalk situation is covered in the manual for the 8885. It appears that maybe your two bases are sharing the same "security code." Or, have codes that are very close since it appears that security codes also behave like frequencies.

Deregistering all handsets from one base then reregistering them is supposed to fix this. See page 72 at http://mycusthelp.net/UNIDEN/FILEXFER/issue_1595/TRU8885-2om.pdf.

It could also be that a short in or degraded wiring exists in your house between the point of demarcation and the out(s) the bases are plugged into. My demarcation box has two test outlets. I traced a crosstalk problem I once had on two different two line wired phones to a leg of bad wire going to one jack by testing the phones at the test jacks.

Thanks.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

Yes, I did try changing the codes on all handset on base, and then the other, at different times, but it didn't change the situation much. The good news is that my wife and I are not usually on the phone at the same time, at least not much. But one day I was on a 4 hour conference call and noticed the crosstalk when I was on a break (it was a training class), so there was pretty much "silence" on my line, and she was talking to someone that was "loud", so I could hear them at that time.

We also have the phone lines running close together at a couple of points in the wiring, as the lines that come out to my "office" are wired for both lines (two or three sets of twisted-pairs in the same cable). So it could be that too. Like I said, it doesn't happen much, so I haven't really been to motivated to really troubleshoot the root cause and take care of it. I just "ask" her to stay off the phone when I have these training classes. The last couple (last year), she switched over to her cell phone when I was doing the conference. And yes - we are still married (lol).

Good Luck & Please let me know what happens.

Take Care, Greg A.