Mike, Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained/Certified OnQ Audo/Video/Data Technician
11762411

When I set up my Wii, the video is fuzzy and is black and white.

When I set up my Wii, the video is fuzzy and is black and white. The sound is perfect. I've checked all the connections. What should I do next?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer what kind of cables are you using to connect your Wii? If you're not familiar with the technical term, a description will do just fine (what color are cable ends/how many). What do you have them connected to on the TV?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm using the cable that came with the Wii. The video connection is yellow and the audio connections are white and red. On the back of my tv, there are only two video slots (both are blue), one of which is being used for the dvd connection. If I unplug the dvd, I can't get any wii picture using those. If I plug into the other video connection, I only get black and white wii.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok... what color are the slots you have red and white cables plugged into on the back of the TV?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Or even better... what is the model number of your TV?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The connections are red and white. The tv is a Samsung Model No. LN28S330J1D
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hmm... I can't seem to find anything on that particular TV. The thing that has me confused is the "blue" video input. I've never seen a blue video input on a TV before. It should be yellow, unless it's part of a component video input and it would have blue, red, and green connectors all next to each other, and then red and white for the audio. Is the blue that you have the video plugged into, next to green and red connectors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The audtio connectors closest to the blue video connection are red and green; however, I can't get any audio if I plug in to them. If I move the audio to the next columns over where the connections are red and white, the audio works.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ahhh... now this makes much more sense. Those connections are "component connections" which use three cables for video (blue, red, and green) and then two for audio (red and white) for a total of five cables for video and audio. The cables you are using are called "composite" cables, and only use one video cable, and the two red and white cables for audio. Plugging the video cable of a composite cord does indeed give you a fuzzy black and white picture as this is NOT the correct cord for the input selection. You'll need to get a component cord for your Wii to work on this TV. You can get one on Amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Wii-Component-Video-Cable-Nintendo/dp/B000JJRV90

Or, your local Best Buy, Walmart, and/or Radio Shack may stock them.

Regards,
Mike, Technician
Experience: Factory Trained/Certified OnQ Audo/Video/Data Technician