James, Technician
Experience:  4 Years as a Audio Visual Service Engineer
24944807

Need help with firmware upgrade of a Harman Kardon AV received,

Customer Question

Need help with a firmware upgrade of a Harman Kardon AV receiver, model AVR 354. Please see link http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductSupportDetails.aspx?PID=AVR+354. I am following all exact instructions but I keep getting an error 7 when I go to the last part, the video upgrade section. Please help, I am desperate.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
Hi There,

In the past I have found following the instructions below work when getting an "error 7" message :

Start the upgrade as per normal, go through all the steps as documented. When you get to the step for the video subsystem make sure do as the instructions stay put the device into normal mode and leave it in standby. However; don't listen to the instructions about waiting 30 seconds after you turn the device on. I found if you hit the standby switch and hit the upgrade button on the software right after the light on the front goes blue, there is a much better chance of the upgrade taking, and not failing with an error 7. When I did the update, I hit the upgrade button in the software while the device was off and then powered it on immediately after. If you don't get it the first time, just turn the device off and try again.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you James for the help, but unfortunetaly I found that answer on a forum yesterday (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17891685#post17891685) and it did not work (I tried several times). I contact Harman Kardon this morning and apparently this is a known issue so they will replace my unit. Best regards, Frederico