Aric , Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I recently purchased two AIWA speakers -3 way bass reflex-

Customer Question

I recently purchased two AIWA speakers -3 way bass reflex- SX-88 150 wts each.
I would like to know the quality and their comparison to present day speakers.
I understand that SONY took over AIWA about 2003. My other speakers are SONY.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 6 years ago.

Hello, They would be considered a mid-grade or entry-level speaker on par with Pioneer, Sony and Kenwoods of the Era. They will not compare to higher-end speakers such as JBL, Klipsch, Infinitys of the era though. Build quality is decent, and the driver selection is adequate as well. They will not operate in the same league as the high-end Sonys with Ribbon Tweeters, but will compare favorably to Sony's standard models. Timbre-matching will be a problem if trying to play them in the same system as the Sony's becuase they are both engineered with different voicings, drivers and crossovers. The Aiwas you found are VERY rare though, so even if not using them, they may have some collectable value down the road.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!