Andy, Electronics & Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yrs exp. MS Electrical Engg., Design Engineer, SEO, Cust. support, Marketing.
16465236

I dropped my Kindle and now the screen has a line through it

I dropped my Kindle and now the screen has a line through it and some of the letters are faded, and now it's frozen on that screen (page in a book), and none of the other buttons work. HELP!

Is it Kindle 1 or 2 ?

When did you buy it ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i think it's a Kindle 2... it says "Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation) on the pacaking slip. Bought from Amazon.com on Dec. 7th. Just opened it this morning. :-(

Dont worry. Please do this and let me know result.

First make sure that the Kindle 2 is completely charged. Even if it is "frozen" it should still charge - that is the charging indicator should light when the charger is connected. If the charging indicator does not light-up check your plug and let me know.

Once the Kindle 2 is charged do this to reset it :

1. Remove your Kindle 2 from the charger.

2. Slide the power switch to the right and hold it there.

3. SLOWLY count to 15 (the switch has to be held in-place for at least 15 seconds).

4. Release the switch.

5. What will happen? At first NOTHING so don't panic.

6. After about 5 to 10 seconds the Kindle 2 will flash on and off several times.

7. The Amazon logo will appear along with a progress bar showing the Kindle is restarting.

8. Next the Hope page will load with the ebooks, audio books, and other media you've loaded onto your Kindle.

Let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT". I am paid only when you "ACCEPT"

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It didn't work. :-( I charged it to a full charge, held the power switch for a slow count of 15 seconds and it didn't work. An arrow showed up at the bottom of the line in the page in the middle of the "messed up" part and flashed a bit, but that's it. I tried it twice. :-(

Are per the symptoms you have provided, its evident that there is a hardware failure in the display due to physical shock.

Your Kindle is in warranty and Amazon will give you free repair / replacement. Make sure that do not tell them that you did anything like "you dropped it" or anything at all.

They will void your warranty if they come to know that you did any such thing. Just tell them that you dont know whats wrong and it just happened suddenly while you were using it.

You will have to give a call to following phone number to obtain warranty repairs. Only they can process the warranty repair. It cannot be done online.
  • In the United States: 1-866-321-8851
  • Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.