AnswermanRob
AnswermanRob, Electronic Jack Of All Trades
Experience:  FCC License w/Radar Endorsement, 5 yrs of experience teaching aviation electronics, 20yrs total exp
24991566

How do I know when my kindle battery needs to be replaced

How do I know when my kindle battery needs to be replaced? could there be another problem causing it to stop working totally?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  AnswermanRob replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Your Kindle won't hold a charge for long when it begins to go bad. I would suggest a master reset before I invest in a new battery.

To reset a Kindle 1, you need to open the back cover first. Turn your Kindle over so that the back cover is facing you. Slide the back cover off by pressing the cover firmly while sliding the cover to the right with your thumbs. Use a paper clip to press the reset button (tiny hole) located above and to the left of the battery. The kindle will flash a few times and reset.

Please let me know if that doesn't fix your problem.

Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this reset did not help. Kindle still did nothing.

Batteries can go bad, but they usually last longer than a year. It should come on when you plug it into the wall adapter unless the adapter isn't working and therefore isn't charging the battery. If you know someone else who has a Kindle, I would try using their adapter before I do anything. These things are expensive and you want to be sure.

Amazon used to have an exchange program for broken Kindles. I'm not sure if they're still doing that. I do not know of any company that repairs them.

Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do not know anyone with a kindle. when i put the adapter in, the light next to the adapter plug comes on for a short time. but nothing on the kindle screen comes on. any idea? i hope its not b roken. you are saying it is broken, not the battery?
These unit's usually need a reset when they act like this. The batteries usually slowly fail and don't just fail one day. I would make sure that the adapter is plugging in well and you also may want to remove and reinstall the battery just to make sure that it's not corrosion on the contacts. You can get a new battery for $20 or so here:

LINK

Let's hope that it's the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have been guilty of forgetting to turn it off when done. quite a bit actually. could this cause battery failure more quickly?
Actually...NO! You're one of the better people Smile

The batteries will develop sort of a "memory" if you don't allow them to charge down. However, if you leave it discharged for too long, it can cause it to fail. Was the battery dead for an extended period?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it was off for quite some time. once i went out of town and forgot to bring it, more recently I was in a very bad car accident. I spent a week in Shock Trauma, then quite some time at a rehab hospital, without the kindle. it was home and turned off. I am at home recovering now but when i first got home i still couldnt use the kindle. so yes it was off for a long time.

Awwww...I'm sorry.

Then...maybe good news. The battery may be dead. Hope anyway. It would be strange for it to just be broken all of a sudden unless someone dropped it while you were in the hospital.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nobody dropped it, actually i did have it on briefly last week, it worked. so Im thinking its got to be battery.
It's sounding more and more like it because of the strange circumstances. I'm feeling much better about it. I would feel comfortable ordering one. Just be aware that we don't sell them here at Just Answer. You'll have to purchase them at the link I provided you or somewhere else of your choosing.

I hope you feel better soon!

Rob
Experience: FCC License w/Radar Endorsement, 5 yrs of experience teaching aviation electronics, 20yrs total exp