Dan , Master Electronic Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience in the service and repair of all types of electronic equipment.
12940042

My Panasonic Viera TV wont come off standby and the standby

My Panasonic Viera TV won't come off standby and the standby button is pulsing! Help - it was working a couple of hours ago, Anna
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer in the GLP21 chassis, the most common ailment for the pulsing standby light is a problem with either the backlight inverter board or a component on the power supply board. If the inverter board (powers the backlight for the LCD panel) shorts out, or a transistor in the power supply shorts, then the TV goes into a protective shutdown mode to prevent additional damage. Since you have already disconnected the mains, that is as much as you can do without technical assistance.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That's all very technical - but what should I do. Do I have to call an engineer?

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I try hard not to be too technical. Being in the repair business for forty years sometimes gets the better of me.
Yes, you will need to contact a local service engineer to address the issue. This is not an uncommon problem with this TV and if you contact someone familiar with your model, they will most likely arrive at the same conclusion I provided earlier. Since the problem can be attributed to more than one cause, the engineer will need to isolate the actual fault.