Joe
Joe, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional. iphone, bluray and home theater setup and repair.
20508815

I am replacing a charger port on a Blackberry 8300 cell phone.

Customer Question

I am replacing a charger port on a Blackberry 8300 cell phone. I have a hot air solder unit and board warming device. But am not sure what temperature to set the board warming reworking device and what temp. I should be using on the hot air solder unit. On the board it says that we should discharge a compenent on the board before reworking. I am looking for someone who can indicate what are safe temperatures. and how to discharge the board
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Honestly for something like that I would use a cold solder tool, it uses a battery I believe and can be located online, These are very delicate so heat has to be min! just enough to set the solder. As far as a discharge you can remove battery and touch the two terminals together with like a screwdriver blade or you can use a test light to discharge the capacitors stored power.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Please note: The money you paid was just a deposit when you opened the question, the only way the experts get paid is when you are satisfied with an answer to click the accept button and then the expert gets paid out of that deposit you have already placed on this site for this question. If you are happy with the correct answer and are satisfied then please click the accept button.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is a nice suggestion but doesn't answer my question I all ready have the equipement I indicated. It sounds like this is out of your league. Thanks for your attempt but that wasn't the question i asked. Have you ever even soldered anything your self. I am not a novice at this just looking for some resource on this device.
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

I have soldered tons of things both hot and cold, I have never done a cell phone yet however I know how delicate the boards are and I have seen it done, the board disscharge is done as I stated. If you have soldered before then you should not have any problem with that, I do not know what to set the temp to on that though so I will opt out and let another expert try to help you.

Sorry I couldnt help more.