techguy
techguy, Technician
Experience:  17+ years in electronics

Re Bass Reflex Magnavox AZ9040 portable mini system w/tape

Customer Question

Re: Bass Reflex Magnavox AZ9040 portable mini system w/tape player, radio and CD player. The CD player has quit on me indicating "no disc" when there is one in the player. I got it to work twice, but if I don't use it on a regular basis - it quits again. Are they still being manufactured or, if not, can I send it to you for repair? I LOVE this sound system. I've got Two speakers attached w/ wiring. Can you help me?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  techguy replied 4 years ago.

It seems a classic case of the CD pickup eye needing to be cleaned.

If you can get the CD to spin, trying it several times, get a CD pickup

cleaner disc, insert it it as per instructions. Make sure you can get it to

play the cleaner disc on the prescribed track. If this part takes hold,

you're in luck. That ought to do it, every 200 hours or so of play.

If not, take the case off the unit, open drawer, unplug, and find the tiny "eye"

and, with a little alcohol on a q-tip, clean well, and wipe with a lint-free cloth.

Nine times out of 10, the eye is dirty, and causes problems.

If this helps, please press ACCEPT, and also remit applicable feedback, thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have used CD cleaners before, but never used alcohol on the eye - nor did I know that the unit should be unplugged. Ugh!! If this fails, will I be charged another fee for contacting you again?
Expert:  techguy replied 4 years ago.

No, you won't be charged again. just please don't accept the answer until this gets worked out.

Also, the alcohol on the eye is only when the eye is so dirty, the system can't read the eye anymore to recognize the cleaner disc. This would be after you've tried using the cleaner disc, without success.

The disc would still be good to have in the case of doing subsequent cleanings.

I'll be available to help every step of the way!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Just tried the alcohol as you instructed - the "thingie" on top seems to be out of whack - I hear a rubbing sound - so I covered the eye carefully and sprayed a bit of WD-40 on the top of the "thingie" . This Cd player was purchased at Circuit City in 1995, and has been the perfect sound system for me. How can I find out if they are still manufacturing this item? Any suggestions??
Expert:  techguy replied 4 years ago.

Can't find this system anywhere; I can imagine why it's a favorite, it's got a lot of upgrades.

If, by any chance, you got it working OK, we're good.

I did, however, in case you didn't get it working, find a replacement eye pickup assembly at:

ciconelectronics.com/ind.html

Go to AZ9040 on a drop down list, and click on AZ9040; quite a ways down,

in alphabetical order. It's $22.95 + shipping, and you can get someone to install it.

Let's keep it running!

Expert:  techguy replied 4 years ago.

I'd also recommend if this is too much for you to take on, to have the unit repaired.

The repair service probably has that assembly, also, thanks.