Joe
Joe, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional. iphone, bluray and home theater setup and repair.
20508815

I have a Samsung FP-T5894W plasma TV, but the Wireless Home

Customer Question

I have a Samsung FP-T5894W plasma TV, but the Wireless Home AV Center (or set top box) came up missing after a move. On this TV, external devices such as DVD players and cable/satellite boxes are connected to the WIRELESS unit, then an 802.11N wireless signal is sent to the TV, so without the AV center, the TV is pretty much useless. Does anyone have an idea where I could get another one?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Do you know what the model number of the wireless box was?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. I still have the User's Manual for the TV, which only refers to the "Wireless Home AV Center" and does not give a part number. I contacted Samsung and they referred me to their parts supplier at http://www.samsungparts.com/ since the model is no longer being manufactured. I visited that site and looked up the parts list for Samsung model code FPT5894WX/XAA, but the AV center/set top box was not listed (although the power supply for the box was). So I called them, only to be informed that they don't sell the whole set top box, but only the power supply (which apparently has a bad habit of going bad after a while, although mine never did). If you'd like to see the User's Manual, you can go to the Samsung website and download it.

I'm at my wit's end here; right now the TV is absolutely useless as there are no inputs on the TV itself, only on the AV center.

Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

This is crazy it is a Samsung only product and I have looked everywhere and cannot locate one, I would personally call samsung and make them tell you how to get one as that product is/was only made by them so they have to have more otherwise the tv is useless, that was a good idea but bad design i think. They have to be able to supply you with one, there is nothing anywhere so the only way if you can get one is to go through samsung again, I would call them and ask to speak to a manager.

Sorry I could not help more however samsung is the only ones that made that unit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try contacting Samsung again, but I'm not expecting much.

Take a look at the two sections from Samsung's website which specifically deal with the Wireless Home AV Center and have a picture of what it looks like on the front and back:

http://www.samsung.com/us/function/search/espsearchResult.do?keywords=%22wireless+home+av%22&input_keyword=%22wireless+home+av%22

According to Samsung, the TV synchs with the AV center's 802.11N wireless signal automatically when it is turned on. I'm wondering if there is a third party solution. Is there a chance somebody's manufacturing a wireless 802.11N media center with similar inputs and a standard N wireless output?

Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

I am going to do more investagating on this and see what I can come up with for you, if you don't mind waiting a little while I should have something by morning.

thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much, Joe. Tomorrow I will send you a transcript of the chat I had with Samsung's Technical Support; it's laughable -- no dice, even though I elevated the matter to a supervisor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Joe, here is the chat I mentioned yesterday:

info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Robert N'
Robert N: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?
Robert N: Not to rush you, are we still connected? I am afraid we may lose our connection.
Visitor: Hello, I have a Samsung FP-T5894W 58 inch 1080p Wireless Plasma HDTV. However, the Wireless AV Media unit that you connect your inputs to and sends them to the TV via an 801.11N wireless signal was lost in a recent move. Yes, I'm still here.
Robert N: Please let me know your question
Visitor: I need a replacement unit. I've already chatted once today and was told to visit www.samsungparts.com, but they informed me via telephone that they do not have the unit, just the internal power supply for it. Without the unit, the TV cannot be used since it has no inputs on it. Can you help me please?
Robert N: Let me check for the information and provide you the correct details
Visitor: It's called the "Wireless Home AV Center" in the User's Manual for the TV, there is no part number.
Robert N: Would you mind holding a few minutes while I gather the required information on your request?
Visitor: Sure, no problem.
Robert N: Thanks
Robert N: Thanks for holding
Robert N: Just to confirm once again, do you wish to purchase AV wireless unit for the TV?
Visitor: Yes. The TV is fine, but I need the wireless unit that goes with it.
Visitor: I can't find it sold anywhere on the Internet or Samsung's website.
Robert N: I am sorry, as of now the part is not available with Samsung parts
Robert N: The part may be out of of stock
Visitor: Do you have a part number for it? What am I supposed to do? I paid over $3000 for this TV and I can't use it at all right now.
Robert N: I am sorry, you need to check for the part number of the wireless unit from Service Manual
Visitor: OK, where do I get ahold of the Service Manual? And when I have a part number, then what? This unit is required for the TV to work and only Samsung made it. This TV was bough brand new just over a year ago, and you're saying I'm out of luck?
Robert N: You can purchase it from Samsung parts
Visitor: But I went to the Samsung Parts website. The wireless unit was not listed there, and when I called them, they said they don't have it and never have, only the power supply from inside it.
Robert N: It may be out of stock
Visitor: Well "out of stock" is no answer. I have a $3000 TV that I can't use, and they didn't say the part was out of stock, but that they never had it in the first place. And where can I find the Service Manual for the TV so I can ask them about that specific part number?
Robert N: You can purchase the service manual from Samsung parts
Visitor: OK, can I talk to a supervisor please? I'm not going to purchase the Service Manual just to get the part number for something that Samsung Parts says they don't have.
Visitor: You do not have access to the part number for the Wireless Home AV Center?
Robert N: Yes, We in Chat support do not have any information on part numbers
Robert N: If there is any information on the part, I could have provided you
Visitor: Can you transfer this chat to a supervisor, please? I think you can see that it's a bit ridiculous for me to purchase the Service Manual just to get the part number for something that Samsung Parts said they didn't have when I called them earlier today.
Robert N: Please be on hold while I transfer you to my supervisor
Visitor: Thank you very much.
Robert N: You are welcome
info: Please wait while I transfer the chat to 'Sam J'.
info: You are now chatting with 'Sam J'
Visitor: Hello, Sam. Would you please take a moment to review the chat log so far so you can get an idea of my problem?
Sam J: Sure, please give me a moment while I go through the chat.
Sam J: Thanks for holding.
Visitor: Sure.
Sam J: I apologize for the inconvenience.
Visitor: No problem, it's important that you know what I'm trying to accomplish here.
Sam J: Yes, I understand your requirement.
Sam J: J & J parts are our direct dealer who deals with all the orders and sells the Samsung accessosaries.
Visitor: Yes, I have already visited their website and called them as well. They told me that they do not sell the entire Wireless Home AV Center, but only some of the component parts inside it, like the power supply.
Visitor: This does me no good, since I do not have the unit and I can't use the TV at all without it.
Sam J: Okay.
Visitor: Is it possible the person I spoke to was mistaken? I looked at the detailed parts list for my model, and I didn't see the unit on that list either.
Visitor: I realize that particular TV (Samsung FP-T5894W) is no longer being sold by Samsung, but there has got to be a way I can purchase the Wireless Home AV Center that is required to use it.
Sam J: Did you check with your dealer if they have the wireless AV center available with them?
Visitor: No, I haven't. My TV hasn't been sold since around November 2008 and the wireless unit is needed for it to work, so I think it's doubful they would sell me one even if they had one. That's why I'm going directly through Samsung instead.
Visitor: I'm sure they'd make me buy the whole TV again, which I shouldn't have to do.
Sam J: Unfortunately, we do not have a part number available for the wireless AV center.
Visitor: I checked the Best Buy website (which is where the TV was bought), and they have a few parts for it like the remote and power cord, but they do not have the wireless unit. As to the part number for it, Robert suggested I look at the Service Manual, but as I said before, it doesn't make sense for me to buy the Service Manual just to get the part number for something Samsung Parts has already told me they don't have (and have never had).
Visitor: J&J Parts = Samsung Parts, right? At www.samsungparts.com
Sam J: Yes, you are right.
Sam J: I have gone through the service manual and there is no part number listed out separately for the whole AV center.
Visitor: Well, thanks for doing that! I'll be a monkey's uncle. Somebody, somewhere within Samsung has to have the whole AV center. I can't believe I'm out of luck and now basically have a big $3000 paperweight just because I lost the wireless unit during my move. . . . That can't be the case, right?
Visitor: If you want to look at the complete parts list for the TV, go here:
Visitor: http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp?model%5Fname=FPT5894W&searchkey=FPT5894W&searchflag=byonemodel&modelid=506099
Visitor: Then select "View Entire Parts List for this Model" and there will be a long list, but I don't see the wireless unit in that list.
Sam J: Yes, but unfortunately that can only be purchased from your dealer if they have it.
Visitor: And if my dealer doesn't have it, then what? Doesn't Samsung fully support its products for at least a couple of years after it is no longer sold? I can't believe this. Can Samsung give me a credit or something toward the purchase of a new model?
Sam J: We are in the technical support and we do not have any idea on credit and replacements.
Sam J: You may need to speak with our customer support at: XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Visitor: Do you understand the frustration I'm feeling right now? Is there anything Customer Support can do if neither Samsung or J&J have the wireless unit?
Visitor: I'm willing to pay for it, but I just need someone that will sell it to me!
Sam J: Yes, I can understand your frustration and I really apologize for the inconvenience.
Sam J: I request you to raise a complaint to or ECR department so that they will address this issue.
Visitor: What is the ECR Department, and how do I reach them?
Sam J: ECR department is our dedicated department to receive any complaints on our products and any complaints on our services.
Sam J: You can call them at: 1-800-Samsung (1-XXX-XXX-XXXX) any day between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM EST.
Sam J: I am sure they will do the needful.
Sam J: I am sorry I couldn't help you fix the issue over the chat. However, is there anything else I might be able to assist you with?
Visitor: All right, I'll try that. Thanks for trying to help, but I will tell you, I am very disappointed to learn that apparently neither Samsung nor its official Parts Supplier (J&J) have the wireless unit. As I have said several times now, without it, you can't use the TV at all.
Sam J: Yes, I can understand how important is the wireless AV center for you to watch the TV.
Sam J: Can I be of any further assistance?
Visitor: Nope. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX night. When I call customer support, will they have any record of this chat or will I have to send them the transcript?
Sam J: I will provide you the ticket number for this transaction so that they can have access to this chat session.
Visitor: Great!