Joe
Joe, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional. iphone, bluray and home theater setup and repair.
20508815

I am trying to hook up my Bose 901 speaker equalizer to my

Customer Question

I am trying to hook up my Bose 901 speaker equalizer to my pioneer VSX 516 reciever but I am having difficulity with the connections. Is it possible and can you verify the connection procedure to me. Also is it possible that I can't make the connection to this reviever?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Here is the manual for that setup.

click here ---> http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/901_guide.pdf

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They say you need a tape monitor loop on the reciever to make the connection. I am not sure if my reciever has it. Can you check the manuel for my reciver to verify that I am able to connnect the equalizer . I spent three hour are this last night.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Click here---> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/297336630VSX516OperatingInstructions.pdf

Page 11 shows the inputs for tape.

Thanks again,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have hooked up all the connections just as stated and the equalizer still doesn't work. I have gone over the connection 10 times and they are correct. The CD player is also hooked up correctly. When I play the CD music comes out of the spearker but not with the clarity needed as the equalizer will provide. The out lines from the euqalizer are going to the in position and in reverse for the other two as shown. The equalizer light is on. Does it have someting to do about which section I am making on the front panel of reciever. When I play a CD it displays on the reciever.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
You online need to select tape on it if I remember right. Or selection is for that set of inputs. Then it should work fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure what you are saying. The connections I made are to the tape monitor as per the manuel you showed me of the Pioneer VSX 516. Are you saying I should be selecting something other CD on my reciever. The Cd player is hooked up to the CD inputs on the reciever. For sure the last question!!!!
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Correct, try hooking the cd player to the tape in on the eq, then select tape on the receiver or which switch is for the tape inputs, then turn on the receiver the eq and the cd player. The reason for this is the "TAPE" switch on the receiver for that set of inputs for the eq must be turned on so you cannot have tape and cd on at the same time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The information that you sent was not correct. My reciever is not compatable for the Bose 901 speaker system. It's impossible to hook it up as per Bose customer service. The number of recievers are very limited that are compatable with this speaker system. The list is at Bose if needed.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Just to clarify. ANY receiver is compatible witht eh Bose Eq- it just depends on how you hook them up.The Bose Eq's Inputs should be connected to the receiver's Tape Output (or "Playback"), the Bose Eq's Outputs should be then connected to the receiver's Tape Input (or "Record"). You would then choose CD as normal of the receiver's Inputs, then press "Tape Monitor". This will engage the Eq and allow it to process the signal properly. Another option if you still can't get this to work, is to plug your CD player into the Eq's Input, then plug the Eq's Output into your receiver's CD input.

If this answer solves your problem, please click "Accept".

Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the unprofessionalisum in given the same answer as I already have.

I do not know why Bose told you that however you can hookup any receiver that has a tape in/out on it which your receiver does in deed have. The info I provided before explained to hook to the tape in/out and then attach the cd player to the tape in on the eq, and press tape on the receiver for it to work.

If you still need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried your last hookup exactly the way you said but the music did not play. I also gave Bose your directions and they said it was not good. BotXXXXX XXXXXne they sent me a list of compatible recievers and mine is not on it.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Ok here is the reason for that, you told the company you wanted to use a different brand with their unit that's why they told you it would not work! They connections are the same on the units being red/white RCA cables there is nothing different, either the connections are not correct or incorrect settings or the eq has an internal fault as I have personally hooked that exact model eq up to a onkyo and a pioneer unit before.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Thanks,

Joe