Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

my surround sound system just stopped working one night. it

Customer Question

my surround sound system just stopped working one night. it just off, it will stay on for a few seconds then shut down. what can i do?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 6 years ago.

Hello, Try unplugging all of the speakers and then power it on again. Does it shut back off? If it stays on, try reconnecting the speakers one at a time and make sure the speaker wires are not touching each other. It's posible one of the wires is shorting out, perhaps a stray strand of wire is touching the other wire. If it still shuts right off, there's a possibility that the output transistors on your Home Theater Receiver are shorted and need to be replaced. How old is the unit?

_______________________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it shuts right back off. i bought it July 9th 2009.

what does the output transistor look like

Expert:  Aric replied 6 years ago.

It should still be under warranty then- I would'nt even open it up...I would contact RCA and get a return authorization number to send it in for warranty repair. If you're still curious, the output transistors, are little black "square" chips that would be bolted onto a heatsink of some sort towards the rear of the unit.