John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

there is no default printer currently selected

Customer Question

there is no default printer currently selected.

I believe it's a windows problem, I'm using Vista Home Edition. There is a default printer selected which is an HP Officejet J6410 All-in-One. This printer is recognised as the default with most of my programs except Sage Winforecast Professional and Moneysoft Payroll Manager. Some months ago these 2 programs also recognised the printer as the default.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  tichy replied 4 years ago.

Are these programs picking up a differen printer as the deault or just no default printer? Do you have other printers installed which they are detecting?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

These programs are not picking up a default printer. I do have other printers installed but they are not detecting any of my printers.

Thanks

Expert:  tichy replied 4 years ago.
I myself am not familiar with these programs but there is some things we can try to get this working. Set any of the other printers as the deafault run these programs. Close the programs reboot then reset the printer you want as the printer and re-open the programs see if the printer is now showing up. If not then you might have to set them in the programs themselves which you might have to contact the individual support for. But let's try changing the default printer and seeing if this clears it up. Remember after you change the printer open both programs then close them and reboot. let me know if this changes anything.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed the printer default, opened and closed both programs and rebooted. This has made no difference the problem remains the same.
Expert:  tichy replied 4 years ago.
Is there any user configurable options in either programs? Like up top is there a toolbar with File, Edit, Tools (preferences) somewhere? I will try to help you but if there is no user options then you must contact the software support. Let's try these options I won't take up too much time if they are not there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, I'm in the UK and it was after 1am when I received your question.

Within Sage Winforecast Professional I can set up a default printer but I need to do it everytime I enter the program. Payroll Manager has the default printer set up but the program does not recognise it. I spoke to Payroll Manager support and they told me it was a Vista problem.

Regards

Expert:  tichy replied 4 years ago.
Ok let me do some more digging thanks for that information. I have seen these problems before and 9/10 times it lies in the 3rd party software. I will have some more info ASAP.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both programs did recognise the default printer a few months ago, so perhaps the problem has been caused by one of the Vista updates.
Expert:  tichy replied 4 years ago.

I have 2 more suggestions to try.

1. Reinstall printer driver from scratch Vista updates have been known to corrupt some drivers rarely but worth a shot in yoru case.

2. See if there was any updates in the installed programs with a date that matches when this problem started. Remove the update see if the status of this issue changes.

I am just running out to the market to get some food I will not be gone long. So i will be back ASAP.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have several printers and the problem remains whichever one is chosen as the default, so I don't think it's a printer driver problem. I recently reinstalled the driver of the printer that I normally use as the default and it made no difference. One of the installed programs has had no updates for 6 years. The other program had an update after the problem had started.

Expert:  tichy replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I meant if there is a Vista update in that timeframe. When I said installed programs I meant in control panel. As I stated above Vista can be tricky with updates and such.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've gone into the Control Panel and seleceted Windows Update but it doesn't give me access.
Expert:  tichy replied 4 years ago.

Have you checked installed programs you may not be able to run windows update itself but you might be able to uninstall any updates that happened before this started.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I uninstalled all of the windows updates (about 12) from the time that I new the programs were recognising the default printer. Unfortunately the problem remains. I noticed that after rebooting the computer a few minutes ago windows updated my system. Could this mean that the updates I deleted have been reinstalled, if they have they are not showing under installed updates.
Expert:  tichy replied 4 years ago.

They might have is this a personal computer or an office computer? I want to get this fixed for you but I am at a loss at this moment. I have found lots of information (on the web and my own personal experience/knowledge) and all has led to the steps we have allready tried.

Since Windows is technically not losing the default printer the Vista problem is the least likely. Expecially since removing updates has not fixed it. There are LOTS of Vista printer problems (and lots just dealing with default printer issues) but none are quite like yours. Mostly if Vista has a default printer problem this exists in every program and every instance not just certain programs.

Since it is not working only in certain programs this still really leads me to beleive it is an issue with the software or the way the software talks to Vista. There may have been an update (which put itself back on) which in essense broke your printing with these programs.

I will opt out if you want or you simply do not have to accept my answer but I think this lies with the software companies.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's a personal computer. As mentioned previously the payroll software company is telling me it's a Vista problem and you are advising me that it probably isn't. Until a solution is found I have no way of knowing who is right. I appreciate your advice but my problem remains so I need to go else where for help.