Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut since 1974. Home Theater advisor. Vinyl holdout!
329447

I have a Denon AVR-487. Everything works on this except it

Customer Question

I have a Denon AVR-487. Everything works on this except it stopped outputting sound. Is there a reset I can perform on the receiver?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer. Thanks for asking your question.

To reset a 487, switch off the unit using the POWER button.

Hold in SPEAKER A and SPEAKER B together.

Press POWER while keeping the A and B buttons depressed.

The display should start to flash. When it does, release the A and B buttons.

The unit is now reset.

I will be here if you need more info or have a follow up comment or question.

If you no longer need assistance and I have been of help, please click the ACCEPT button on the right. It is the ONLY way I get paid for my work. Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check this out as soon as I get home and then send you your funds. Thank you very much for the help!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I believe that it reset, but still no sound. Any ideas??

Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Well, it could be many things.

Since you have reset the unit, you now need to go back in and set up everything.

The manual is here: http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-487-OM-E.pdf

What are you hooking up to it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cable, Plasma TV & DVD is all that is connected to it...I set it to the tuner and set local station, but no sound. I hooked up the TV and still no output. I haven't hooked up all the speakers, but one of the front speakers and the sub woofer.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Is it the center speaker? That speaker won't normally work for regular stereo sources. Hook something up to the front left or front right and fire up your cable box.

Do you hear anything?

Edited by Steve the Electronics Guru on 10/30/2009 at 12:10 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it was one of the front speakers and the subwoofer that I had hooked up. What baffles me is that it's been working great for the past year and a half and all of the sudden there's no sound, but everything else works (all of the functions of the buttons, channels, etc.). My female shephard was messing around on the side of the enternainment center and had unplugged my Wii and my wireless internet, but nothing chewed up or missing, but after she did that the stereo made a high pitched sound for a few minutes and then I turned it off. The next day when I turned it on, there was nothing. I hooked all the other components (Wii and wireless internet) back as they were (sound from the Wii was run thru the receiver).
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Do you know for sure that the speakers are working?

It sounds like you may have blown them out - you heard a high pitch sound for a few minutes??.

To check this, get a small 9V battery and put it across the speaker wires. The speaker should make a noise.

Can you check that for me?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I know for sure the subwoofer is working because when you unplug it and touch the end it humms at the speaker. The other ones I'll have to try this evening when I get home. I have to work at both of my jobs today so it will be about midnight before I get back home.

When I reset the receiver lastnight, it made it's normal clicking sounds (as it activated during warm-up) and as I switched between TV and Tuner I thought that I heard a faint switch like it was trying to work, but ultimately no sound came out.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.
Check your speakers first and then we can try a few things.
Steve G., Engineer
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut since 1974. Home Theater advisor. Vinyl holdout!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, will do. I'll get back to you late tonight and then I'll be online first thing in morning before I go to work.

Thanks for all of your help on this matter!!!

If I hit the accept button now does that end the session? If so, would it be better to wait until we finish this thread? I just want to make sure that I stay on the same page as you since you know what you're talking about.

Thanks!

Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.
Nope, even after an ACCEPT we can keep going until we figure it out. The question will still stay open.

Edited by Steve the Electronics Guru on 10/30/2009 at 12:56 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds good
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I did the speaker test and they do make a clicking noise when placed across the 9V battery. I have to be on duty at 11 this morning, but any other suggestions you have I'll try tonight when I get home around 830 or so.