Dan, Master Electronic Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience in the service and repair of all types of electronic equipment.
12940042

My Panasonic PT-50LC14 shuts down by itself. The temp warning

My Panasonic PT-50LC14 shuts down by itself. The temp warning indicator flashes once every 5 seconds. The owners manual says this is a malfunction and to contact a service center. Can you give me more information? Its pretty obvious that this a malfunction.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer the PT-50LC14 error reporting circuit should be causing the Temp indicator light to flash a specific number of times. Can you count the number of times it flashes every five seconds? It should pause briefly before repeating.

Is the Temp indicator the only one flashing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it is only the temp indicator. At least when I checked it twice.

Bob @Customerbr />
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
I need to know how many times it blinks in 5 seconds before pausing and repeating.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It blinks once every five seconds.

Bob @Customerbr />
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
The Temp light flashing once every 5 seconds indicates a fault with the temperature sensor. The sensor on the Thermistor 1 CBA (circuit board assembly) is either open or shorted. Since the failure of a temperature sensor is critical, the monitoring circuit of the TV automatically shuts it down.

While I'm not sure whether or not this information was passed along to the service shop you called, this would not be a $500 repair and should be much less.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

Edited by Dan on 10/7/2009 at 8:36 PM EST
Dan, Master Electronic Technician
Experience: Over 40 years experience in the service and repair of all types of electronic equipment.