Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming

I have a panasonic VHS omnivision tv and the remote quit model

I have a panasonic VHS omnivision tv and the remote quit model no. PV-2021 KiAA12576. I need the code for the remote to get the tv to work with another remote. thank you [email protected]
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

First, there is always a faint chance that the problem come from the set IR (Infra Red) receiver, but it's always best to suspect the remote first.

The code of a universal remote does not contain any information in itself about the IR signal, it's only an index for the internal database of the remote. For this reason the code you need might be different from one universal remote maker to another and i would need the make and model of that remote.

(even if this is a Panasonic product, i saw the same remote with a GE branding, so a code for an old GE or RCA could be tested if Panasonic don't work).

Because this is kind of old and because it's a combo unit (those are notoriously badly supported by universal remote), it's possible that it will not work with any universal remote under $100. In such a case it's better to get a hard coded remote. The original remote is not available anymore at resonnable price but a substitute can be found here (for $20):