Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My sony dvd player has a dvd in it and it is stuck inside.

My sony dvd player has a dvd in it and it is stuck inside. I cannot open dvd player to get it out. there is a clicking noise inside but it will not open. Please help.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

By everything, did it include:
  • unplugging and allow to res/discharge for an extended period of time. Thereafter, press and hold EJECT while plugging in and/or powering on;
  • inverting the unit (bottom side up), press and hold EJECT while plugging in and/or powering on but quickly unplugging.

The basic idea is to jar the disc to become unstuck and therefore enable the ejct. it would most liekly be either failure of eject mechanism and / or disc hole stuck to spindle. The correct procedure is of coourse to open the uniot for a look & see, removal of the erring disc and fault diagnosis. Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if very familiar with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe working practices with electrically powered devices equipped with laser system. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to seek the services of an authorized Sony Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty) or a qualified professional.

Goodluck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.