Eric, Technician
Experience:  30 year experience with TV repair, about 15 on computers.
22241082

I HAVE A PHILIPS FLAT SCREEN 42 INCH TV MODEL# XXXXX Serial

Customer Question

I HAVE A PHILIPS FLAT SCREEN 42 INCH TV MODEL# XXXXX Serial # XXXXX
friday while watching tv the screen when black / power light out. however i can hear the tv station through my sourround sound system. i unplugged the outlet still no picture. please tell me if i should replace the broad and if so which broad should i replace. If i should replce something else let me know. i know i should take it to a repaue shop so dont tell me that . I wwant to repair it myself. i 've only had this tv for three yrs. lots of complaints. If i can get three more yrs. i may be able to recoup the cost of the junk. Thank you please help.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Hi ,

My name is Eric

I have read your issue and here is what it sounds like:

It could be just a few bad capacitors on the power supply, if you want to attempt the repair yourself you can do a visual of the power board, caps may appear swollen on top

The ones you are looking for are located almost center bottom of the power board, I can see them clearly with the back on simply shining a flashlight into the back through the holes.

With the back removed you will see a few circuit boards the upper one (ac cord runs to it through the ac socket) is the power supply, it has alot of capacitors on it (cylindrical standing straight up soldered in mark on the sides with the positive/negative sides and MF and Volts values)

Philips uses 2200Mfd or 3300mfd at 35Volts rating capacitors, they cost about $1-$2 each here
usually I replace two of them (or all the bulged on top ones) .

The power board and back unscrew with a torx bit and screwdriver, if you do not know how to desolder and resolder then do not attempt this as you may damage the TV more than fix it.

We do not recommend do it yourself, but depending on your knowledge and technical ability you may be able to.

You can replace the whole power supply, but Philips has a few versions in their sets and some won't fit due to cable location (sockets) being in a different spot.

If there is a blinking red light on the TV count the blinks, 7 blinks would indicate a bad buffer board , check the capacitors by looking for the swollen tops I hope thats all it is (usually is)

here is Philips Phone # 1-888-744-5477 in case you need it.

hope this helps

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THERE IS NO BLINKING RED LIGHT WILL THIS MAKE A DIFFERENCEIN YOUR ANSWER TO THE QUESTION
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Yes a little, I still would say its a bad power supply.
Without actually checking voltages this is a guess base on what you have provided and my experience.
You would need a voltmeter to check to be sure. There are one or two fuses on the power supply. One near where the AC wire goes into the board. measure to make sure fuses are good or just replace them.
Most of what I said still stays the same except add checking the fuses and looking for any burnt connections on the solder side of the power supply especially near where the AC goes into the board.
If you don't find any bad fuses, solder connections or swollen capacitors then you would need to order the whole board.
Like I said earlier there are different versions so read the # XXXXX the board itself , my check shows it to be LJ44-00119A $250 to $349.
thanks