euro-pro llc
euro-pro llc, Technician
Experience:  22 years experience
21107900

I have an insignia tv and it keeps turning itself off but not

I have an insignia tv and it keeps turning itself off but not totally. It looks like its off but sometimes it makes a vibrating type sound. When i use the remote to turn it on it turns on again.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  euro-pro llc replied 7 years ago.

What is the model# XXXXX

Do you still have sound when it goes off?

How about the LED in the front,it does change color when turn off,or stays on?

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX

THe LED changes to red from green

There is unclear sound - like vibration or muffled voices-- not clear but doesn't sound like the TV is actually off. I have to turn on then off to stop the sound.

I'm sorry ,I do not have too much information about this model.It is a Best Buy private label(actually the tv maker is Konka) and even though I work for Best Buy Service Center,we do not have information for it besides a part# XXXXX the main board.

This is the only way we fix them at Best Buy Service Center since there is no service info available.

I could provide you a part# XXXXX the main board(a component level repair will be difficult since there is no usable diagram in the manual!)

This information will be useful for you in case you want to repair unit yourself,otherwise,the estimate for part and labor will exceed the cost of a new unit.

An electronic tech probably will charge around $250 to repair this tv,which is more than a new one.

Please let me know if you need the part#,I could get it for you on Tuesday(i got it at work)

Thank you and have a good weekend

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. Not something I"m likely to do myself. If I take it to Best Buy - they also will charge more than the cost of a new tv? It has been doing this since it was new- but not all the time. It sounds like this is a common problem with this tv? Is there anything else that might make it do this more or less frequently? Is it a safety issue if I continue to use the tv and don't fix it?

I work for Best Buy Service Center.

The labor fee will be $185(higher than many other smaller shops).

Add the part cost(I think around $85 for the main board-not too expensive compared with other main boards),and the repair will be around-$270.

I would not recommend investing this kind of money ,with around-$300 you can buy a new HDTV same size!

Thank you and have a great Labor Day!