Neil, Engineer
Experience:  NZ Certificate in Engineering Electronics & Computing 25 years exp

Got a Garmin Nuvi 1490. It wont boot up. When I power it

Got a Garmin Nuvi 1490. It won't boot up. When I power it up, I only get the initial info screen.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Neil replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like your unit is not getting a charge.

First confirm your car outlet is providing power by plugging something else in there or trying the unit on another car. Remember that with most cars the car must be running for the cig outlet to work.

If the outlet is ok check the fuse inside the leads plug. Just unscrew the end of the plug and there is a fuse inside.

If still no luck then check the socket in the Nuvi, unplug and check the lead is making good contact and the socket is clear.

If still no luck then try connecting the unit to a PC and see if it will turn on via a usb lead. If it turns with the usb lead then you may have a faulty vehicle lead, take the lead and gps to a garmin dealer to try it with a new lead.

If this information has been helpful please click ACCEPT, it is the only way I am rewarded for my time.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It seems to me that it's getting power. Why else would the initial info show up on the screen? I've had it hooked to the car for over an hour driving and the screen didn't go off, which it seems it would if it wasn't getting power. Thanks for your help, but it doesn't seem to me that that is the problem.
Expert:  Neil replied 7 years ago.

I wasn't aware that the unit froze on the welcome screen...

Try resetting the unit by holding on the power switch for 10 seconds or pressing the reset switch (if it has one)

Also try updating the unit software:

It is possible your firmware has got corrupted and this will correct it...

Go to this link and download the webupdater software, run the software and connect your GPS to the computer via a USB lead when prompted.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. It has no reset switch. I've repeatedly held the power button down for 10 seconds or more without success. I just downloaded the webupdater, but it won't recognize the attached unit. It has changed the screen that displays, though. Now only the "Garmin" displays.
Expert:  Neil replied 7 years ago.

Not good news I'm afraid..

Sounds like the unit has some internal problem... You will need to call Garmin to organise an exchange/repair...

Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM, Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

US:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020
Canada: 1-866-429-9296