euro-pro llc
euro-pro llc, Technician
Experience:  22 years experience
21107900

The picture om my Samsung Plasma television suddenly went out.

Customer Question

The picture om my Samsung Plasma television suddenly went out. All I can seen on the screen are tiny green, red and blue dots. The Model is SP P4251X/XAA.

Can you give an idea of what may possibly be wrong with it?

Thank you XXXXX
Bermuda
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  euro-pro llc replied 7 years ago.

I will be happy to help you with this question!

Unfortunately,based on the symptoms you describe one of the boards inside of the tv set have failed and will need replacement.

The most common one causing this symptom will be the Y sustain board(and possible buffer board).

These boards are a level repair,which means they are nor repairable to component level,the board needs to be replaced.

The cost of repair for having one of these boards replaced will be around $ 300-$350.

If you feel comfortable to replace this by yourself,please send some pictures with the symptom,that will help me give you the right information,

If you need I could provide you the part# XXXXX this Y sustain(the most common one).

I hope this helps,

Thank you ,and have a good night!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, it would be very helpful if you could send me the part# XXXXX the Y sustain board. I am quite handy at taking apart and repairing PC's, so I would like to try and repair this myself. How much does the board cost?

I have attached a YouTube Video so that you could see the problem for yourself.

I await your reply

Thank you,

XXXXX XXXXX

Bermuda

Thank you for the video!Very helpful!

I've seen it and,I think that this problem can be caused by the Y sustain board,as well by the buffer boards.

Now,after you take the cover off,you will see on the left side(from the back),a big board in the middle left (this is the Y sustain) and this board connects to the 2 buffer boards(they are connected through some brownish ribbon cables to plasma panel).

Now,you need to take all the screws about from the upper buffer board and slowly pull it out of the Y sustain(totally out of circuit,with the exception of the brownish connectors from the panel).

Then turn the tv on with the board out of circuit.

If this was the bad one,you should see a good picture,but just on the lower half of the screen.

If picture still bad,reconnect all back ,put all screws back onto this upper board,and redo the same for the lower buffer board.

Turn the set on and check the picture.

If picture ok=lower buffer is at fault.

If picture still bad,then most likely Y sustain is bad-replace Y sustain.

This methods are pretty accurate,but the best way is to back up our decision is by measuring some voltages.

The most important ones are ,

VS,VA and VSC.Also VE will tell us about the integrity of X sustain board.VSC tells us about the Y sustain/buffers,and VS,VA should be ok-tells us if power boared operates fine.

On this model all of these voltages are measured and adjusted on SMPS(power supply board)-this is the board where the AC goes to.

The values for this voltages are written on a label onto the panel itself.

See attached pictures please:

graphicgraphic

Also sometimes the fuses on Y sus is open(Y sus is defective).

Here are the part numbers for Y sustain and buffers:

BN96-01211A Y sustain

BN96-00872A Y upper buffer

BN96-00873A Ylower buffer

I hope this helps,

Thank you