James W
James W, Senior Manager, Retail Electronics
Experience:  24 Years experience in Electronics as Manager of Retail Electronics. 30 Years Experience Computers.

how can you fool a scram braclet

Customer Question

how can you fool a scram braclet
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  sojlaw replied 4 years ago.
Please clarify what you are talking about.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
scram braclet is device that you wear that detects alcohol from your sweat glands
Expert:  sojlaw replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, I think you need a scientific answer, not a legal answer, I will see if we can send this to an expert in that area.
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
I never was under a court order and so i never tested that :). The thing detect alcohol vapor that are liberated by the skin. If you block and seal the bracelet it will probably detect that abnormal transpiration condition are present and assume a hack.

The only way i could see is to use a desiccant material (like silica gel) to absorb the vapor. That would only work for 4-5 hour (if it work at all) and you will need to carry a stop watch like Liam Neeson in Darkman to know when to get out of the party to go change the gel.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
The best way is to not drink. That way everyone wins and stays healthy.

Expert:  James W replied 4 years ago.

The patented SCRAM ankle bracelet - the heart of the SCRAM system - is attached to the offender with a durable and tamper-proof strap. It is worn 24/7 by the offender for the duration of his or her court-ordered abstinence period (typically 90-120 days).

Twice an hour, the bracelet captures transdermal alcohol readings by sampling the insensible perspiration collected from the air above the skin. The bracelet stores the data and, at pre-determined intervals, transmits it via a wireless radio-frequency (RF) signal to the SCRAM modem.

Attributes

• Tamper- and water- resistant
  • Samples insensible perspiration every 30 minutes (2x per hour)
  • Automatically collects, stores, and transfers all data via the SCRAM modem on a predetermined schedule (at least 1x/day)
  • Date- and time-stamps readings for easy reporting and analysis

When an offender is convicted of DUI, domestic violence, or another alcohol-related offense, a typical condition of sentencing or probation is that the individual must stop drinking. To enforce this, courts have traditionally looked to random testing methods (blood, breath, or urine) that measure sobriety at a specific "point in time."

However, one of the more recent advances in alcohol testing is continuous transdermal alcohol monitoring, which means that alcohol is measured "through the skin." Transdermal testing measures the concentration of alcohol present in the insensible perspiration that is constantly produced and given off by the skin. If an offender has been drinking, it shows up in the level of ethanol vapor present in this insensible perspiration.

While transdermal testing cannot determine exact blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels, it can qualitatively determine whether a person drank a little, a moderate, or a large quantity of alcohol (transdermal alcohol content or TAC). TAC results correlate well with BAC results. However, because of the way alcohol is absorbed and processed by the body, TAC peaks typically are reached 30 minutes to two hours after BAC peaks.

• Learn more about how alcohol is processed by the body.

Continuous transdermal alcohol monitoring - the foundation of SCRAM - has been confirmed by the scientific community, based on more than 70 years of research and 22 peer-reviewed studies. It is becoming an increasingly accepted and integral part of offender alcohol monitoring programs within courts, probation, treatment, and correctional agencies. Transdermal monitoring has also been accepted in evidentiary hearings, and has been admissible in many court cases across the country.

3. SCRAMNET

• Web-based application managed by AMS where offender data is stored, collected, and analyzed
  • Can be accessed around-the-clock from any location using a standard and secure web browser
  • Flags and graphically depicts incidents of:
  • Drinking events
    • Tamper detection
    • Removal attempts
    • Equipment malfunctions
  • Allows easy customization of testing, synchronization, and reporting schedules for each offender
  • Provides customized reports and graphs that best suit information needs and individual cases
    • Ranges from a profile of a single event to a comprehensive view of behavior over time
    • Helps reduce workload through exception-based reporting
    • Allows the cost-effective monitoring and management of numerous offenders simultaneously
  • Expertly-trained AMS Customer Support Managers (CSMs) analyze and interpret the data
    • Report violations to the local AMS Service Provider or court

Expert:  James W replied 4 years ago.

After much study, it seems that you may have no luck "Fooling" the bracket and sensor..

It seems you would have to concentrate on fooling the minds of men...

You would concentrate on a phrase like this.

It is becoming an increasingly accepted and integral part of offender alcohol monitoring programs within courts, probation, treatment, and correctional agencies. Transdermal monitoring has also been accepted in evidentiary hearings, and has been admissible in many court cases across the country.

You would need a lawyer in advance that could challenge the reliability of the device, the reporting, or the people that interpret the data that is sent.

Perhaps the fact that you are not confronted by your accuser which is the expert on the other end of the mode who anaaylizes the data.

Experience: 24 Years experience in Electronics as Manager of Retail Electronics. 30 Years Experience Computers.
Expert:  James W replied 4 years ago.

How the Typical SCRAM

Case Causes Science and Law to Collide

Aside from the apparent reliability problems

discussed above, the very processes involved

in the monitoring and confirmation of a drinking

episode by the manufacturer requires a significant

delay between the "confirmation" of a drinking

episode and the actual notification of this

"confirmation" to the offender. This systematic

problem with SCRAM is exacerbated by the

physiological delay in the expression of the alcohol

through the skin. Scientific literature has shown

DWI JOURNAL: Law & Science - April 2006 - Page 4

Copyright 2006 Whitaker Newsletters Inc., 241, Burtonsville, MDNNN-NN-NNNN All Rights Reserved.

that this delay might be as much as 120 minutes2,

while the manufacturer claims that this delay

might be as much as 180 minutes3.

A third source of delay may be termed

"judicial" delay, which is the delay that occurs between

the notification of a Confirmed Event by the

manufacturer and the subsequent notice to the offender

by the monitoring agency. These delays

create an almost certain violation of the offender's

constitutional rights because they effectively preclude

the offender from any opportunity to seek

and obtain potentially exculpatory evidence in the

form of an independent test. Independent testing

is particularly crucial where, as here, recent scientific

research suggests that the data and processes

used to "confirm" drinking are respectively both

unreliable and subjective4.

See the full document here..

http://www.mphlastala.com/DWISCRAM2.pdf