Neil, Engineer
Experience:  NZ Certificate in Engineering Electronics & Computing 25 years exp
15873252

my phone only rings once and then stops

Customer Question

my phone only rings once and then stops
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Neil replied 7 years ago.

Is this your mobile phone or your home phone?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
home phone
Expert:  Neil replied 7 years ago.

The first thing to check is to try calling your number from another phone and see what is happening...

If when you ring the phones ring once and then stops and you get cutoff then there is a problem with the ring voltage... Try unplugging all your phones at home and repeat the test, if your line will now ring normally start plugging all the phones in one by one until stops again. The phone that stops it may have a fault in the ring circuit.

If the line is being answered when you ring in, again unplug all the phones and retest, as above replug the phones back in until the phone that answers is plugged in. b If you have a burglar alarm it could be that has developed a fault and has started answer, fax machines can do this also...

If the fault is still evident with all phones unplugged then call your telephone company as there is likely a fault in their system...

If this information has been helpful please click Accept