Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I turn on my TV and is says no signal.

I turn on my TV and is says no signal.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, postack with the brand and model number as with any and all other devices connected to it.

The message "NO SIGNAL" indicates as the term implies that the TV is not receiving a signal that in turn it could display. If this condition is when viewing a TV station, then either the incoming TV signals are weak or not received at all.

If on the otherhand, a DTV digital to analog converter box is installed, then it would be the receiver box that is not receiving the signals.

If the TV is set to receive another INPUT/SOURCE other than TV, then it would refer to a missing video signal of that device.

Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This is a ido flat screen, and I put another tv on the cable and it worked find.

It says on the screen after no signal just below it composite.

Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Appreciate your postback.

Without a specific model number, a specific reply could not be proposed.

Generally, the messages "NO SIGNAL" and "COMPOSITE" indicates that:
the TV is set to view a video signal connected to the composite video input, not to TV Input;
this also indicates, that either there is nothing connected to the composite video input or that device is not sending a video signal readable by the TV.

On the TV's remote, determine and press any buttons that would allow you to choose what setting the TV would display, Such buttons are marked as SOURCE, INPUT, LINE, TV/VCR, TV among others.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The remote will turn the tv on and off, althought no other buttons will do anything. I think it might be the remote?
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
If the remote is able to turn the unit ON/OFF, then in most likelihood, the remote is operational. One way to verify is to point the remote to an active digital camera (or even a webcam, phonecam). Every press of the remote's button wold result in a bright light on the camera's LCD display.

If the remote has been determined to be operational, then it would be the TV that has a fault. Initially, try:
  • flick/snap the buttons/keys on the front panel control of the TV;
  • it is possible that one these buttons are stuck hence all other functions could not be operated through the remote.

Should the above be not corrective, options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if very familiar with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM and a soldering iron/station. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be an advantage;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to seek the services of an authorized Service Center (specially if still under warranty) or a qualified professional.
Alternately or as a test, you can install another device at the composite VIDEO INput of the TV such as a DVD or VCR or even a converter box.