Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My HP Pavilion dv6000 will not turn on. Press the power switch

My HP Pavilion dv6000 will not turn on. Press the power switch and the lights (blue) blink on then quickly they turn off. Happens with or without the Power Supply. Any ideas?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Below are proposed if haven't been tried.

Try the other way around, use only the adapter/charger without the battery. Allow a few minutes interval between the battery removal and trying it with just the adapter.

Other things that could be tried would be:
  • remove and clean the memory pins;
  • temporarily remove the WiFi card;
  • temporarily remove the hard disk.

Try the unit without the WiFi card and the hard drive. This is to determine if these devices are affecting the power up process. Illustrated how-to is available here.

Incidentally, HP has acknowledge several faults on these series of laptops and has provided a Service Enhancement program. Should you be interested, please click here. Additional discussion here.

Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Everything tried, same results. Lights blink on and immediately shut off. Saw another response about resetting the bios but, if you cannot power on how would you do this? Just a note, this is the second issue we have had with this particular laptop. First issue was the connector for the wifi pcb went bad so this laptop has not wifi pcb installed. We connect wireless via USB. I will look into the service enhancement program at HP - thanx for this suggestion. Any other ideas please let me know.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
I tried the BIOS reset on a dv2000 by removing the small battery (if I recall correctly, under the HD). It worked for a couple of times but then eventully blacked out and off to HP.

Funny you should mention the WiFi, some first sign of trouble would be missing wireless connection but the bluetooth is there hence the blue LED indicator is still lit. A complete fresh re-intall was done using F10. Again it worked immediately after the install. The WiFi was gone after a reboot.

I was also made to understand that a BIOS update maybe required, but then again how to flash a motherboard that will not even POST.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, in your opinion this thing is toast? I'm thinking that HP will be telling me the same thing and will let you know. Thanx for the feedback, Benimur.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
I'm afraid, yes, i.e. If all of the above have been tried and not corrective. Anything else might void warranty or HP would claim that the unit was opened by a non authorized personnel (tampered).

As there are no more easy fix, then HP would be the best bet. HP might not even charge you and/or simply replace the unit (which is easier for them). Either way, it would be to your advantage to move your files from the dv6000 HD to your current computer using a 2.5 SATA/IDE to USB adapter; something like these.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.