sany
sany, Engineer
Experience:  B-Tech degree in electronics and communication
17828513

I cannot get my computer to recognize my Sony Walkman MP3 Player.

Customer Question

I cannot get my computer to recognize my Sony Walkman MP3 Player. I troubleshot with Sony today. They believe there is a problem with the driver in my computer. Please help me repair this driver. I am using Windows XP Professional. I have Service Pak 3.5. I installed Windows Media Player 11.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  abhi_iitian replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Please do the following :

Unplug your walkman from computer, Go to the following website:http://esupport.sony.com/

Now at that site, click on "Software Drivers", Now enter your device's model number/select it...and click continue

Download and install the files that are listed.

Restart the computer, Now plug in the walkman and it should be recognized.

If that does not work, let me know the model number of your walkman and the device status in device manager with its error code.

Abhi
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I downloaded a software update from Sony. It did not solve the problem, so I asked them about my problem. I was sent to FAQ on their website. They recommended that I do the procedures in Device Manager logged on as administrator. How do I log on as Administrator without shutting the computer off?

Don't worry, I think you would be admin. Click start> Click run, enter devmgmt.msc

You will get to device manager
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I downloaded the software update from Sony. They did not have a driver to download. The update did not help. I used their help function and was referred to FAQ web page that troubleshoots this problem. They recommended that I go into Device Manager logged on as Administrator and do some procedures. How do I log on to my computer as Administrator without turning it off? I want to try their protocol in Device Manager.

Don't worry, I think you would be administrator if you are the only user. If you are not only user you will need to log off and then log in , bookmark this page so that you can reply here later. Click start> Click run, enter devmgmt.msc

You will get to device manager
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just figured out that I did not get the software download from Sony because when they asked me to connect the MP3 player the computer did not recognize it. I believe a need the driver that allows the computer to recognize the Walkman. Please help!

let me know the model number of your walkman and the device status in device manager with its error code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Model # XXXXX XXXXX Once the Device Manager gave me an error code of 10.

However, when I check them all ports say they are working properly.

Connect the walkman and then see the error code

I see that it does not require any driver, was it working earlier or did it never worked on this computer ? Does it work on other computers ?

Also, when you connect it does windows say .. a new hardware is detected,.. windows will install software .. then does it fail ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is a new device. It never worked. I cannot get it to recognize the device to charge the battery. When I plug it in, my computer makes a noise similar to when I plub other devices in, but it does not give me a message that new hardware is detected nor does it way windows will install software. It lights up and begins the process to charge the battery with a circle and connecting on the MP3 player screen--then the screen goes blank and my computer makes the noise again like I unplugged it. It fails.

I see lots and lots of people are having this problem.. Thanks to Sony.
Could you try this :
Plug it into my usb port in my laptop, made sure HOLD wasn't on, and then hit the reset button.

Also, have you installed everything on the cd
Abhi
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a laptop. I only have this one computer. The Sony does not have the hold button on. I plugged in the Sony and hit the reset button on the back. It did the same thing as described above.

Okay. At this time, I am not sure what is the problem because it should have at least try to say a new hardware is detected, you could try testing it on another computer , may be a friend's to varify its not defective

I will opt out and other experts will assist you if they have different ideas
As it appears its not a driver issue, I guess I should transfer it to Electonics category
Expert:  sany replied 5 years ago.
hello sir/ma'am

did you try to connect anything else in the port that you are trying with this walk man??

anything a mobile phone ,external harddisk etc..

if nothing is getting detectecd problem is with your computer port.

try connecting a USB to that port.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, but in frustration I called Sony back and got referred to a Level 2 Tech Support person that troubleshot this on my computer. He found that their device (the second one I've had) was faulty. I am sending it back for a replacement. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  sany replied 5 years ago.
you are always welcome..