Craig
Craig, Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors Degree From Purdue University in EET and additional 2 years of experiance
17166292

Can a Mintek DVD Player DVD-2110 be fixed

I have this Mintek DVD2110 for quite some time now.
It give the message "No Disc" whenever I tried to play a CD or DVD disc.
Can this problem be fixed, How much would the repair cost?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Craig replied 7 years ago.

If you see this problem all original (not home created) DVDs and CDs try the steps below. If this problem is only being caused by a few disc, the problem is usually with the disc itself.

1. It looks like this DVD player may not be able to properly detect and playback recordable DVDs. If trying to play a DVD disc that is a DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW, you'll need to refer to the DVD players' documentation on compatible formats.
  2. Insert the disc and listen closely by placing your ear to close to the drawer of the DVD player. After the disc tray has closed, you should be able to hear the disc spinning. If you hear no such sound, it is common that the disc is not spinning up, which is why you would receive a "No Disc" message when a disc has been inserted. If this is the case, you could try to determine the cause of this, which is usually the "hat" above the center of the disc is stuck and needs to be repositioned to lay against the top surface of the DVD. If you are uncomfortable doing this, you'll want to bring the DVD player to a service center.
  3. In your case, you said you have had the Mintek DVD2110 for quite some time, and I'm sure it has had its fair share of use. Over time, dust can accumulate on the laser that reads the disc. In many cases, this can be fixed by using a DVD laser cleaner, which is usually a disc that has a tiny brush on it. Run the cleaning disk a few times and try both CDs and DVDs again.
  4. After a DVD player has been used for awhile, another common problem is that the laser in the DVD player becomes misaligned, inhibiting its ability to read DVDs. The only way to fix this problem is to bring the unit to a service center for repair.
  5. There are other possibilities for the players failure, such as a defective laser motor (the motor that moves the laser), bad spindle motor (the motor that spins the disc), as will as other various circuit failures that could be the cause.

Try all things you can do yourself to repair the unit. If none of them are successful, you will need to have the unit repaired, or purchase a new DVD player. I can not give you an accurate estimate of the cost as repair stores have different cost and the problem could be caused by multiple things. I would suggest if the unit repair cost exceeds 2/3 the cost of a new unit, then don't bother fixing it. You'd be better off with a new player.

Thanks for using Just Answer!