Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have an old sylvania tv and the code is not compatabile to

I have an old sylvania tv and the code is not compatabile to the verizon stb. I tried a Phillips Universal Remote but none of the codes work. The tv will not permit me to get channel 3 which I need to program my verizon. What can I try next. Thank you, Sandy
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

On your concern on a Sylvania, in setting it to Ch 3:
  • have you tiried pressing 0 and the 3 on the remotes;
  • if the channel up / down jumps 2 to 4, then 3 would have to be added / programmed.

Alternately if the above is not possible:
  • the easiest would be to use Ch 4 instead of Ch 3;
  • that is if the Verizon device has such a feature. If so, there would be a small selector switch at the rear for Ch3 or Ch4. Set this to Ch 4;
  • press the channel up / down of the Sylvania till 04 is displayed.

Alternately (if the above is not applicable) and with better quality of video, use the A / V feature of the TV (only if available on the Sylvania):
  • connect yellow, red & white RCA to RCA cables from the rear of the Verizon device to the VIDEO IN and AUDIO IN of the TV;
  • set the TV for VIDEO;

Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of the above suggestions worked. If I could get a Sylvania Universal Remote, do you think that might work?
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Yes but it would depend on how old is the Sylvania. Could you pls determine the Sylvania's model number and post it back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the model of the Sylvania TV is Model: SST413
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Appreciate your postback and additional information.

Direct replacement remote for a Sylvania SST413 maybe available here, here or here.

Manually, try to reprogram the Sylvania:
  • power on both the Sylvania and the Verizon;
  • ensure that they are connected;
  • on the front panel controls, press MENU;
  • press Channel UP / DOWN to select CHANNEL SET;
  • press the VOLUME UP;
  • press the VOLUME UP again to select ADD/DELETE;
  • press Channel UP / DOWN to selectthe channel you wish to add into memory, in this case 3 or 03;
  • press VOLUME UP / DOWN to light up the channel number in LIGHT BLUE;
  • press MENU to exit and save.