magtech, Office & Home Electronics Expert
Experience:  20+ years consulting on Office & Residential Electronics and Automation

My Philips sonicare re- chargable toothbrush has stopped re-charging.

Customer Question

My Philips sonicare re- chargable toothbrush has stopped re-charging. Where can I go to get it repaired?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Darin replied 7 years ago.
These type of units typically come with Nickle Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries which charge a lot differently than Lithium batteries and required more care. Because of this, they can have short lifespans and quit working.

This is the first thing you should look at.

You can get into the toothbrush casing and replace the battery(s) with a new rechargeable battery that is similar.

If that does not work, then there may be an issue with the charging unit itself, which in that case may be time to upgrade.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The fault is definitely in the charging unit, What do you mean by "upgrade" and how do I go about doing it? I do not want to spend another $175 on a complete new brush and unit if it is only going to last 2 years.

Expert:  Darin replied 7 years ago.
Keep in mind, NiMH batteries have memories. You may think the charger is not working but look into the batteries first.

You can consult various dentist on this, but the less expensive $10-$20 electric tooth brushes are just as good. Combine them with a water pick which costs around $20-$50, and your teeth become much cleaner and healthier.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. How do I access the batteries in this toothbrush? The only way in is by removing the brush head but there is no way into the main handle part where I suspect the batteries are.
Expert:  magtech replied 7 years ago.
Hello - perhaps I can offer some additional assistance on this.

In my opinion, it is probably not worth trying to open and replace the batteries. These units are built for obsolescence by the manufacturer. Not that I agree with that. A toothbrush that expensive should last longer than they typical 2 years.

I do agree that there are plenty of cheaper models available that will do a good job.

However, if you are determined to open your unit, (which involves cracking open the casing) the links below should give you a pretty detailed step by step guide to doing so.

Good luck, hope this info was helpful.
Experience: 20+ years consulting on Office & Residential Electronics and Automation