Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut since 1974. Home Theater advisor. Vinyl holdout!
329447

I am trying to hook up my new 80 G PS3 to my Sharp LC TV and

I am trying to hook up my new 80 G PS3 to my Sharp LC TV and I get an error that says "An incompatible video signal has been received. Check the output device settings" I am trying to connect via the HDMI cable... WTF!.. or is Sharp just junk.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer. Thanks for asking your question.

Your Sharp is probably a 720p TV (give me the model number).

Turn the PS3 on and hold down the on/off button for 10-15 seconds. This will reset the PS3's display to 480p so you will see it on your screen.

Now go into the display setting on the PS3 and change them to 720p. There will be some other things too but that is the important one. Uncheck 1080i and 1080p.

That should fix it for you.

I will be here if you have a follow up comment or question.

If I have been of assistance, please click the ACCEPT button on the right. It is the ONLY way I get paid for my work. Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Steve G., Engineer
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut since 1974. Home Theater advisor. Vinyl holdout!