Neil, Engineer
Experience:  NZ Certificate in Engineering Electronics & Computing 25 years exp

Hi, Trying to connect Garmin nuvi 200W to computer but

Customer Question

Trying to connect Garmin nuvi 200W to computer but is not appearing in my computer as a drive. Sat Nav is showing storage icon. Tried connecting and disconnecting USB cable. I put the USB cable into different ports. Went into computer management but no drives found. I turned off my firewall and this was no help. The other thing I did try was another computer and it worked on this.

Christopher Doyle
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
How old is your computer?

What make and model?

What version of Windows are you using?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1) 2002

2) Dell DIM4400

3) Windows XP Pro

Just to let you know that I have tried my garmin on another computer and there was no problem. It showed up straight away on my computer drive. This also had Windows XP Pro.
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

The first thing that comes to mind is that this computer is USB1 and so there is a chance that it may be incompatible with your Garmin however, looking through the Garmin website I can't find any reference to it being incompatible with USB1....

What I did find is a set of instructions to load drivers (even for XP) and some instructions of how to setup those drivers.

Question: How do I install my Garmin USB drivers?
Answer:

Here are the steps to install the USB drivers:

1. Download and run the USB driver installation program from this link: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591
  2. Go to the Device Manager. In Windows 98SE and ME, click on Start/Settings/Control Panel, double-click on System, and click the Device Manager button. For Windows XP and Windows 2000, (XP) Click Start/Control Panel, (2000) Start/Settings/Control Panel, double-click on System, click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.
  3. Make sure that the GPS unit is connected to a USB port on the back or side of the computer. Do not connect it to a USB Hub.
  4. If there is anything that looks like "Unknown Device" or "USB Device" with a "?", "!", or a red "X" next to it then right-click on it and choose Uninstall or Remove.
  5. On the "Confirm Device Removal" screen click "Ok".
  6. Click on the "Action" menu at the top left of the Device Manager and choose "Scan for Hardware Changes".
  7. Microsoft to look for updates say "No, not at this time." and click "Next".
  8. Choose the option to "Install from a list or specific location." and click "Next".
  9. Put a check next to "Include this location in a search." and click "Browse".
  10. Direct it to search in the "C:\Garmin\USB_Drivers\i386" folder and click "OK".
  11. Click "Next" and it should install the drivers.

Follow these setup instructions, it may well be that you need the driver for USB1 but not USB2 when using XP...

If this information has been helpful please click Accept, it will not stop you from asking more questions on this subject.

Neil, Engineer
Experience: NZ Certificate in Engineering Electronics & Computing 25 years exp
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Neil

Just to let you know that I have both the 1.1 and 2.0 USB ports and I have tried the USB cable in both ports. I had seen something about downloading drivers but wasn't sure if I should. Should I download this driver and if I do, what port do I connect to.
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I would go with the USB1 first, then try the USB2. I am assuming you have the USB2 card installed, I have heard of issues with these....

Happy hunting...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I followed your instructions and downloaded the driver but no new hardware was found. However there was support from garmin which led me back to the rest of the instructions you gave me. I discovered a yellow "!" beside one of the USB ports. I clcked on this and was asked to install driver. This seems to have done the trick. The garmin is now appearing on my computer drives. What I need to do now is try and download mapping updates. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Kind regards,

Christopher Doyle
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.
Your very welcome... Many thanks for the Accept