PramitP
PramitP, Engineer
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

my vizio tv screen just went black and i still have volume

Customer Question

my vizio tv screen just went black and i still have volume but no picture. any suggestions
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Answer a few questions so that it would be easier for me to assist you further.

Did you try unplugging the unit for 3-4 hours?

Does this happen in every input?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well my wife was watching it this morning and we turned it on later and there was no screen when i push the input it is still black i have gone through all the inputs. but yes it was off for several hours

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Do you see the on-screen menu?

What is the model no.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no the screen is all black i cant see channell numbers or nothing the model number is XXXXX p42

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
What is the exact model no.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

this is all the info on the back of the tv

model no: vizio p42

type no:sp42a

serial no: dtpaasae440742

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Is it the plasma one or the LCD one?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
plasma
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

I wish I had a "press-a-button" fix for this. It seems that you'll need to check X and Y sustain boards. You'll also need to check the logic board. Along with that check the SMPS output and the ribbon connections. Usually bad voltage results in defective components and thus in such a failure. If you want to repair it yourself then you should be having proper knowledge about the internal circuitry of the TV.
You should also require a multimeter and soldering equipments and schematics.
If you wish to take it to a repair shop would you like to have an idea of the cost of repair?
If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Pramit

Please click the green ACCEPT button if you like my help.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do u think it can be fixed or is the screen shot?

how much do you think it will cost me?

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
There is a very small chance of the actual panel to be damaged. If the actual panel is dead then I'd suggest you to get a new TV. If not then repairing would cost you around $350-$500(max) If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Pramit

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have the back of the tv off is there something i could look for?

i noticed there are 3 fuses is there a chance they are blown?

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Most probably no but if the chassis is open then check them. The main fuse must be good for sure. Check the other two.