Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  6+ years of experience repairing digital/analog electronics equipment
18289839

garmin gpsmap 492 will not show satellite signal strength bars

garmin gpsmap 492 will not show satellite signal strength bars hence inoperative. 16 months old and worked fine all last season even under a bimini top. I got it on once last week and again from the cigarette lighter of my car, but not at all this past week. all screens function but will not pull in a signal. internal antenna type.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Mark replied 7 years ago.
hello

thanks for your question.

this unit has a reset button on the back. it is either a button or a pinhole. use a paper clip to reset.

if that doesnt help then connect to computer and upgrade the firmware. most likely that will solve the problem..
you may want to call garmin at
Phone:
800-800-1020

How to reach a live person:
Dial 1 when recording begins

Please ACCEPT
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Mark,

There is no reset button or pinhole of any kind. I even lifted the dataport cover and checked for any reset possibilities. This is a completely sealed unit with only a central data pin assembly on the back.Any other suggestions and how would a unit like this connect to a computer?

Expert:  Mark replied 7 years ago.
hello

thanks for your reply.

most garmin units has this reset button.. I was under the impression that this one has too..
I double checked and there is no reset button..

to reset you shoud hold/slide power button for 10 seconds..

also please unplug the unit and take the battery out and let it stay disconnected for 10 minutes..
you must have received a connecting cord to connect to computer .. Connect to computer and use your software to upgrade the firmware.
update your maps and it should work fine.

Please ACcept
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you're right about the computer cord. this unit is either hard wired or as I use it usually from a cigarette socket. Is there another internal battery you're speaking of and if so I'll have to unscrew about eight locations to get inside. Is his necessary?
Expert:  Mark replied 7 years ago.
If you have tried holding the power button for 10 seconds then taking the battery out is not worth it.. its most likely not going to solve the problem..

I would recommend connecting to computer and reloading the firmware

Please Accept