Brad829
Brad829, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in the industry as well as a Ham radio extra class operator.

My HP Photosmart C6180 All-in-One is not receiving or sending

My HP Photosmart C6180 All-in-One is not receiving or sending a fax. Can you help me?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I will be working with you to solve the problem.
When did you start to see this problem? did you notice anything that might have caused this? Do you get any error messages? please provide more information so I can assist you better.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have been trouble for three days. My message says cannot send or receive a fax.
Expert:  Brad829 replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jean, Is there a way that you can check and be sure there is dialtone going to the unit. You also have to be sure the wire from the telo jack is in the jack that says wall or has a picture of a wall jack and NOT in the one that has a pic of a phone or how ever they are marked. Can you tell me what happens when a call is made to that fax line? I know I can help, I know it's frustrating. Work with me and we can fix this together. brad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Brad, We have checked the phone line , the electric plug and all the other wires that are connected to the four-in-one printer-fax machine. Do you have any other ideas?

I don't have any way to know if the dialtone is going to the unit. Thanks for your help in this matter. JTB

Expert:  Brad829 replied 5 years ago.
Hi jean, The most common thing that fails is the lack of dialtone and in some cases the wrong phone number at the fax for some reason. Lets see if we can make sure there is dialtone at the machine. Use a regular phone. Plug it into the wall jack. You should have dialtone. If not that is your issue. If you do, plug the cord back in and place the phone in the jack on the Fax unit that may say phone or has a picture of a phone or a handset. Please let me know. Brad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Brad, It was too late last night to answer and do the things you requested but have done them this morning. I can get the dialtone when I plug the cord into a regular phone but cannot when I plug the regular phone into the fax machine. What do I do next? Thanks for your persisitance.Jean
Expert:  Brad829 replied 5 years ago.
OK now we are getting somewhere. Can you replace the cord from the wall to the fax machine? Please do that. be sure of the jack you plug it into. It should be a wall icon, or it will say line or wall. Do not put the cord from the wall to the machine in the Jack marked with a phone icon or the word phone. You are very welcome. You can use any cord. One can be purchased in any store, home depot, radio shack, walmarts, any drug store ETC. You may even find one in your phone room or stationary closet. You are welcome. I am not a fan of people being out of service. Brad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
bRAD, sORRY BUT THAT DID NOT WORK EITHER. I used another phone cord in the wall and i the machine and cannot get it to work. Any other suggestions. I will be away from the computer until later this afternoon. I know you are trying and I appreciate your help. JeanT
Expert:  Brad829 replied 5 years ago.
The only thing left to do is a full reset on the unit. If that don't work, from the info I have, the fax port is defective. Just be sure you are putting the cable in the right jack on the printer. Brad
Brad829, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in the industry as well as a Ham radio extra class operator.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Brad, Thanks for all your help. I am ging to accept so you will get your money but I have tried everything and nothing works. I am going to try to get a new fax port and see if that works. Thanks again,Jean