Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Sony Surround system has gone into the protect mode. It

Customer Question

My Sony Surround system has gone into the protect mode. It does not provide any sound. How do I get it out of the protect mode?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Please post back the exact model.

Almost always, for a unit to kick into protect mode indicates that the built-in diagnostics has sensed a hardware fault. This may have been brought about by:
  • too high volume level settings;
  • speaker problem;
  • systems glitch.

Some basic checks/actions that could initially be done:
  • check all the speakers. If possible with a continuity tester (DVM/VOM). Speakers should read not lower than 6 ohms;
  • verify that the speaker wires are not frayed and the no loose strands that are touching the opposite wire;
  • unplug from the mains for an extended period of time. The idea is to force the unit to do a full hard reset and revert back to factory defaults removing all settings, configurations, memory and glitches.

Hope that this be of initial help/idea. Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.

Should the above have addressed your concern, it would be appreciated if you could take a moment to :
  • click on the green ACCEPT THE ANSWER button as this is the only way my work gets acknowledged;
  • rate/review by leaving a feedback as you see it fit.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The surround system is plugged into a power strip along with the TV and Direct TV box. Last night when I went to bed, I turned all components off. During the night our power went off and came back on. This afternoon when I turned all the components on, everything came on and is working good with the exception of the surround sound system. It comes on but it flashes protect where it usually say's video 2.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
For the moment and as earlier posted, pls try to unplug the Sony Surround system from the mains for an extended period of time (at least 4 hour). Likewise, disconnect all attachments, cable, connectors. Pls note "what goes to where". The idea is to force the unit to do a full hard reset and revert back to factory defaults removing all settings, configurations, memory and glitches.

Alternately, press and hold down SET UP while pressing POWER ON.

If none of the above was corrective or applicable, then the Sony has sustained an internal fault.