Richard Finney
Richard Finney, Technician
Experience:  A+ PC Technician, M.C.D.S.T. Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician.
14113609

Hi I have a Garmin Nuvi 660. The daylight mode is too dim...even

Hi: I have a Garmin Nuvi 660. The daylight mode is too dim...even after putting it at 100% brightness. If I put it on auto, the display is too dim during the day. Night is fine, but would rather not keep it permanently on night. This happened right (a few minutes) after I attached my Garmin to my computer and subscribed to the traffic service.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Richard Finney replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

My name isXXXXX to Justanswer.

I would like to help resolve your problem for you.

Could you please to update the Nuvi from the Web-updater,

to try resolve this problem first.

Here

There are only three options on this device for the light settings

To change the display settings, on the menu page touch...

settings---display---color mode----

Your choices are...

Daytime---light background
Night-time---black background
or auto

Hopefully one of these will be good for you

Any further assistance, I will gladly help

Regards

Richard.

Richard Finney, Technician
Experience: A+ PC Technician, M.C.D.S.T. Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem seemed to start right after I used the webupdater. I just now reinstalled everything from the updater. I put it on auto, but it is evening now so I cannot tell if this worked. If tomorrow morning I see that the screen is normal during the day then I will return and accept. Thanks,

Hi there,

That's fine no problem.

Any further assistance, I will gladly help you sort it.

All the best

Regards

Richard.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry--it still did not work...display on "day" or "auto" during the day is too dim to read during the day.

Hi, Sorry this hasn't worked for you

The only optoins for you are...

Daylight

Night

and Auto

So, I cannot offer a resolution to this problem, sorry..

We have tried the updates on-line, and the settings on the Garmin too.

I am stuck from here,

The night time display is ok to run permanently, the Garmin will not be affected by this,

If you can see it, you might aswel use it that way,

I cannot suggest anything that would brighten up the display for you.

Move it closer to you maybe on the dash, turn it so it gets some light from the daylight,

Sorry I am stabbing in the dark really, but the settings cannot change on the device.

Richard.

You could try re-calibrate the screen,

I don't think it will work, as it is for alignment rather than contrast, but worth trying.

could you please go to

Settings

display

Recalibrate

And follow the instructions,

I hope this resolves the issue for you

Richard.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS...I ALREADY TRIED THAT AS WELL..THIS IS A MYSTERY...MUST BE THE SOFTWARE AS NIGHT BRIGHTNESS DOES WORK

The update would cure any problems, I am sure.

I think it is a design flaw, yes, the night light will be good,

The daytime backlight should also be good.

Checkout a shop with them, you will see the differences in them,

They are all different, for different situations too.

There is the total wiping of the device, but I don't think that it would help,

I think the settings are what they are, and the updates keep the prim and proper.

but they cannot change.

If you want to wipe it, back to factory, we can,