Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Kenwood Am/Fm stereo receiver KR-597 model that after

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood Am/Fm stereo receiver KR-597 model that after about 2 or 3 seconds turns itself back off after you turn it on, what seems to be the problem? Thank you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

To my understanding, KR-597 is the receiver part of a Kenwood Audio System Spectrum 360. On most Kenwood models, auto shutdown indicates that the protection circuitry has kicked in. This was triggered by the built-in diagnostics that has sensed a fault. Offhand, preliminary checks that could be carried out are:
  • unplug from the mains for an extended period of time. This would force the Kenwood to revert to factory defaults in case the shutdown was caused by a system's glitch;
  • check the speaker and speaker wires with a DVM/VOM. Most models require 8 ohms on the speakers;
  • check the speakers wires ensuring that they are not frayed with strands touching the other wire or the other speaker terminal;
  • if your model/version has a blower/fan, ensure that it is running;
  • in some instances, it could just be dust covering thermal sensors or masking the small pins of the ICs and LSIs.
Other than the above, all others would require that the unit be opened up for a look and see. This would further require familiarity with electronic components and circuitry, extensive use of a DVM/VOM and even perhaps a soldering iron. Initial checks would be to look for cold solder and loose connections. Thereafter, access to a Service Manual would likewise be needed.

Hope that this be of initial help/idea. Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.

Should the above have addressed your concern, it would be appreciated if you could take a moment to :
  • click on the green ACCEPT THE ANSWER button as this is the only way my work gets acknowledged;
  • rate/review by leaving a feedback as you see it fit.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help and expertise on this
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Glad to be of some assistance. Appreciate the ACCEPT and your kind words.