Rod, Systems Engineer
Experience:  FCC Commercial Licenses, BSCS, ASEET, 40+years Electronics & Communication Systems
14090506

GE Cordless Phone Model 25952 Phone has dial tone, but wont

Customer Question

GE Cordless Phone Model 25952 Phone has dial tone, but won't dial out. Can receive calls, but caller can't hear. Other phones work in house.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to tell to you that your unit is defective. It would need a technician to repair the unit. It can not cut the dial tone and could have a defective mic too that is why the caller can not hear you. It could have a bad transistor that is why it can not cut the dial tone and insert the tones of the numbers being pressed.

And I am sure the repair would cost more than a new wireless phone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't believe that is the correct answer, as it is the same with both phones, and each phone has it's own transister and mic. Both went defective at the same time.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Ow,

Sorry for the wrong analysis but I was not informed that you have two units having the same problem at the same time.

My diagnostic would be much different then.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, do you have a different answer for the problem? I didn't mean to be nasty, but I just didn't think that was the answer.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
No problem,

I would have reacted the same thing. It is just that you did not mentioned that you have two units acting up the same way.

That would be an odd thing to happen. I have to opt out since I have no idea why it would do that. Unless it has something to do with static electricity or power surges which are un explainable. Electronics just being fried by these surges.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This occurred about the same time that I was entering memory numbers into one of the phones. I did not enter memory numbers on the other phone.

Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

You may just need to reset the base unit. To do this, remove power from the base unit that is connected to the phone line. Leave it unplugged for at least 15 minutes. Then reapply power. You may need to re-register your phones (sometimes, they will sync back up).

Give that a try and see if it helps, do not accept unless your are successful.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I unplugged the phones for overnight, and it still didn't work. It also didn't take out the memory, which is what I was thinking that it would do.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Have you tried removing the batteries from the handsets for a few minutes also to reset them? That should be given a try, meanwhile I will check the technical documentation.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have removed them a couple of times. I really thought it had something to do with the memory, so I was trying to wipe it out.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Removing the power from the base unit should clear the volitile memory, unless it has a battery backup - I'm still searching the database for documentation. I will reply back as soon as I have located it and provide you some more information.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has battery backup and I didn't remove the batteries for that.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Before you remove the backup battery, check a few things on the base unit. Ensure the speaker button is not enabled, also, on the phone display there is a mute function, so you can hear but others cannot hear you. Is the mute enabled?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The mute button on the phone is not enabled, and the base doesn't have a mute button. I also thought that maybe the mute button was stuck, but it will show on and off on the hand set as I press the mute button.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Have you tried the speaker phone function with the handset in the base unit? This will help diagnose if there is a problem with the base unit or handset. Place the handset in the baseunit, and make a call then enable the speaker phone button and see if that works, or if you have the same problem of other's not hearing you.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You can not use the phone handset while it is in the base. There is function with the keys while it is on the base. Also, I don't have a battery back-up. Each phone handset has a battery system, but the base doesn't. I thought there was a battery back-up in the base.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Mine works in the cradle as a speaker phone, curious. Just to confirm, you have removed the power from the base unit for over 15 minutes (I believe you said overnight), including the phone connection. You also have removed the batteries from the handset units. When you reapplied power, no re-registration was required.

Both handsets work okay, except, no one can hear you on either handset. The unit has worked before, but now it doesn't.

Is this all correct?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, all is correct.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Take one of the handsets and remove the batteries so it is not receiving/transmitting. Then the other handset, I need to to set it to factory default. To do this, press the Menu/Mute button until Default > No shows, then use the Caller-ID/Volume ^ v button to select yes, and then press menu/mute to save. This will erase any information you may have programmed in the phone, but will return it to the factory default.

Then, see if it will dial out and the sound will work properly. Also, on dialing, I assume you have touch tone dialing - so you should hear the tones as you dial, rather than pulses.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that before, but I just re-did it again. The memory is supposed to be wiped out, but my programmed numbers are still there. The phone still doesn't work.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

I am out of options that can be performed on your end. These units are warranted for 1 year so I would contact the GE warranty center, if you have had the units for less than a year for warranty service.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay

Thanks anyway