Mr Hawkins
Mr Hawkins , Technician
Experience:  Audio Visual Technology Expert, 5+ years industry experience, allround home electonics Guru
15232490

I would like to play FLV files on my DVD player to watch on

I would like to play FLV files on my DVD player to watch on the big screen. I can copy these files to a DVD-RW, but when I try to play them on my DVD player away from the computer, it does not work. Any suggestions?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Mr Hawkins replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank for the question,

There are a few things you will need to do to play the FLV files on a DVD player. DVD players only support Certain file formats, some only support DVD movie format and some newer models support Divx or window media format however I haven't seen any yet that support Flash Video files(FLV). There is a way around this however.

On the computer you will need to convert the FLV file into another file format such as AVI. I have found 2 converters which do this:

http://www.flvsoft.com/flv_to_video/ and http://www.ripzor.com/flvconverter.html

Once the files are converted to .AVI or .WMV you can use the DVD recording software that comes with your DVD burner to create a DVD movie. Also I would suggest using DVD-R disc if your playing them back on a DVD player as this is usually the most compatible disc, you can try the DVD-RW but it will not work on as many DVD players.

If this answer has helped to solve your issue please feel free to accept, however it you need me to elaborate or clarify anything let me know.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I actually tried using a program called Swift to convert the FLV file to AVI. Then I just tried to copy and paste the file to the DVR-RW, but this did not work.

HiCustomer

Copy and Paste will not work as it doesn't format the Disc as a DVD movie disc. If you have a DVD burning program such as easy DVD creator or Nero (these two usually come included with DVD burners) then you can use this program and select to create a DVD movie.

If you don't have a DVD burning program there are many out there. one that I use is called DVD creator made by xilisoft, www.xilisoft.com .

Thank you